Splitting two lights and two switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayrton5

Reaction score
In my garage there is a switch by the side door and the main door. These both work two bulbs together. The ceiling is plastered limiting access and I don't want to disturb it.

I am about to have a stud wall built half way to make the front of the garage for storage and making a utility room off the kitchen. I'd like to work the lights separately. I've got an idea of how these circuits are laid out so I understand the difficulties. 

The light in the mini garage won't be needed much, so I don't mind if it remains dependant on the utility room. But I'd like a way to turn it off by itself. Is there such a thing as a bulb socket with its own pull cord, that passes current through even when it's off? I can't think there is a way of inserting a regular additional switch without killing the power to the utility - unless you know better? 

I'd have thought a light fitting with a pass through, and a cord and bulb on a loop, was more likely - does such a thing exist, and what is it called?

Ooh, nice idea, I didn't know that was a thing, I suppose I should have guessed though. Thanks!