The M6 Toll Road

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We've just come back from Cumbria - on the way up we used the "old" M6 because the traffic was light ........ today we used the Toll .......... £6.40 for a car one way ..............not many people using it

Why are they making this so expensive ............ nearly all the lorries and cars used the old M6 ............. surely it should be free, or low cost to encourage people to use it and "free up" the old M6 through Brum ............ for people like Evans to use?

We've just come back from Cumbria - on the way up we used the "old" M6 because the traffic was light ........ today we used the Toll .......... £6.40 for a car one way ..............not many people using it

Why are they making this so expensive ............ nearly all the lorries and cars used the old M6 ............. surely it should be free, or low cost to encourage people to use it and "free up" the old M6 through Brum ............ for people like Evans to use?

Oh I bet that was a nice and peacefully pleasant journey after you’d paid the toll!! 

Oh I bet that was a nice and peacefully pleasant journey after you’d paid the toll!! 

Yes it was and the services were quiet too ............... but surely lowering the price would get more vehicles on it!

publically accessible so normal highway rules apply

that's assuming plod can be bothered ...............

Here is an idea.  Why not make the toll fee variable.  Adjust it up or down to get just enough traffic onto the toll road that it still flows freely.  And advertise the current toll from the "free" road?

More traffic paying a slightly lower but fair toll might actually make more money?

Here is an idea.  Why not make the toll fee variable.  Adjust it up or down to get just enough traffic onto the toll road that it still flows freely.  And advertise the current toll from the "free" road?

More traffic paying a slightly lower but fair toll might actually make more money?

Thats a far too sensible idea !

M6 Toll is only of any use to bods like Murdoch "Passin Through"......

Whereas in reality one helluva large proportion of bog-standard M6 traffic needs to drop off either into Birmingham or down the M5....

So the M6 Toll serves absolutely no practical use to a large quantity of traffic...

And therefore lowering the Toll will make minimal difference to the majority of M6 traffic.

Bit like the M25,  the M6 has loads of people commuting too/from work nipping up or down maybe 2, 3 or 4 junctions distance max.

I don't know if it is still true...

but many years ago they used to quote a statistic that the M6 between junction 8 (the M5)  and  junction 10a (the M54)  was one of the busiest sections of motorway in Europe.

Some of the M6 traffic volume problems are because they never built the last section of what would have become a complete Birmingham/Wolverhampton  orbital Motorway....

The M6 Toll is from J11 of M6 down to J3a / J4 M6...   which also connects with the M42..

The M42 goes from J4 of M6 down to J4a of the M5....

There has on numerous occasions been talk of another Motorway linking near J4a M5  back up to near J11 of M6...

Making a full Orbital loop...     M6 Toll / M42 / M(unknown name)   circumnavigating the whole of Birmingham and Wolverhampton....

{I know because we are approx. 10mins from J4 of the M5 and whenever another plan is being muted,

the local press start having a field day with articles on proposed routes and the devastation they will cause!}

But that has so far not happened...

So all M5 north to M6 north traffic has no other options...

and all M6 south to M5 south has no other options..

Even with the M6 Toll open and functional!

:popcorn

it is variable. its cheaper through the night

Two average pictures of M6  and the M6 Toll Road .   I don't use the Toll because I live by J7    M6    .    The M6  through Brum   constantly  grinds to a halt , I 'd say  that trucks  & couriers  going North / South  or South / North   could often take an hour to get past Brum  on the main  M6  .  

My last visit to the  ELEX Show at Coventry on the  M6   took  half hour to get there  &  1 & 1/2 hrs  to get back  for the 25  mile trip .      

Not sure what the cost is for a truck  & driver  to sit on the M6    doing 5 MPH    but  after  a few times I'd be looking at the £11 fee  I think .  

download.jpg

15 hours ago, Blue Duck said:

Clearly it is designed for this fella and his chums...

Should'nt the title be "  Oim considerably richer than yow "        

Those Brummie accents aye too bad  neither  .    

No way to talk to  Ron Weasley's dad though  ....

Last edited by a moderator: