ACL 2 port motorised valve

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an awkward one.

Control head for a 2 port valve has burned out.  It's an "ACL Lifestyle" 22mm 2 port valve.  ACL being Appliance components Ltd, Maidenhead.  It's an old one, according to the sticker on the back warranty expired in 1989 so it's 30 years old.

The only one I can find is this one, but this is a 28mm valve https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACL-Lifestyle-2-PORT-Motorised-Valve-779H335-30L10/202569502449?hash=item2f2a154ef1:g:5sMAAOSwylBb~EqA

Now, the astute amongst you will realise this later morphed into the Drayton 2 port valves, like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRE-OWNED-DRAYTON-ZONE-VALVE-ACTUATOR-ZA5-2-port-head-only/323687447326?hash=item4b5d467b1e:g:DqoAAOSwIt5cXst9

BUT there is one big difference.  The Drayton ones, you remove the head by pushing a button,  The old ACL ones are much more of a ******, you have to take the cover off, remove the motor mechanism to gain access to 2 screws that hold the head onto the valve body.

so questions:  That 28mm one in the first link, will the head fit onto a 22mm valve body?

If not does anyone know where I might get an ACL head, as I don't think the current Drayton one will fit, and I really don't want to have to change the valve body.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it's the  microswitch, and the (plastic?) mounting bracket has turned to dust in the resulting smoke.

I have looked in more detail and it looks like one mounting screw can be accessed without taking the motor out, so I am tempted to just buy a modern Drayton one and if necessary transplant the innards to the old case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay an update for anyone looking.

I bought a modern, current Drayton 2 port valve. With the old and new heads side by side the mounting looked identical. The only difference seeming to be the mechanism to hold the head onto the body, 2 very awkward screws on the old one, and a clip mechanism on the new ones.  The old head appeared to fit on the new body, it just lacked a way to keep it there.

So today I set off, hoping to just fit the new head.

Oh ******.  One difference I had not noticed, is the spindle on the old valve body is longer than the spindle on the new valve body, so the new head won't go far enough onto the old body.

Back again in Monday with my plumbing tools to change the valve body over.