Sockets in a garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjonesguitar

Reaction score
Hi, I posted about lighting before. The consumer unit I am getting has a 32A breaker. I was going to install just one double socket (radial) next the the comsumer unit. Which would mean switching to 20A?

Also, would someone recommend 32A in a garage? I am right in saying I would need to then create a ring? I could add another socket elsewhere. I suppose if some uses it as a utility room (extra freezer, tumble drier).

Or could I create the ring for the one double socket? And allow for extension lead? Or just 4mm cable?

Hi, I posted about lighting before. The consumer unit I am getting has a 32A breaker. I was going to install just one double socket (radial) next the the comsumer unit. Which would mean switching to 20A?

Also, would someone recommend 32A in a garage? I am right in saying I would need to then create a ring? I could add another socket elsewhere. I suppose if some uses it as a utility room (extra freezer, tumble drier).

Or could I create the ring for the one double socket? And allow for extension lead? Or just 4mm cable?

???

Getting a consumer unit? Where from? Who is going to install it? 

You can spur off the ring at the consumer unit for just one double socket.

4mm radial on a 20a breaker should do it.

Don't worry too much about the next person.

???

Getting a consumer unit? Where from? Who is going to install it? 

You can spur off the ring at the consumer unit for just one double socket.

4mm radial on a 20a breaker should do it.

Don't worry too much about the next person.
It is a stand along garage attached to no house, with no electricity supply. It will be connected soon. The power network have agreed to connect it. I use it for my business as storage. Fortunately, it sides with a substation.

It is acturally 2.5k to connect. Price increases by about 4-5k with power because of the area, and easier to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is acturally 2.5k to connect. Price increases by about 4-5k with power because of the area, and easier to sell.
I don't understand this  to be honest .   

Just to back track ,   this is a stand alone,  remote garage  next door to a sub station , it will used for storage for  your business ,  do you actually need any power in there ?     Could you not buy a couple of LED battery lanterns  ?    £2500 is a lot of money to spend  for a socket that some unknown person in the future may or may not find useful .  

No honesty, I am getting it connected. Sounds abit extreme, but it is worth about 35k. 39-40k with power. It is in a really affluent part of outskirts of London. Someone with a nice car or extra storage/utility will buy it. So power maximises it.

No honesty, I am getting it connected. Sounds abit extreme, but it is worth about 35k. 39-40k with power. It is in a really affluent part of outskirts of London. Someone with a nice car or extra storage/utility will buy it. So power maximises it.

If you plan on selling it the relevant certification will be necessary to avoid awkward questions ......

Part of me just thinks do it properly with a double socket in the centre of each side wall...

It is a stand along garage attached to no house, with no electricity supply. It will be connected soon. The power network have agreed to connect it. I use it for my business as storage. Fortunately, it sides with a substation.

So... garage without power is 4-5K cheaper than a garage with power.....

BUT to connect power is only 2.5K  + labour & materials for CU & accessories...

So why would anyone pay an extra 1.5-2K just because you have put electrics in...???  :C

Surely they are better getting there own 'no-power' garage..

Pay their own 2.5K  + £few hundred for labour & materials to have whatever lights and sockets that they want..?

And save themselves the extra 1.5K+     :shakehead

Part of me just thinks do it properly with a double socket in the centre of each side wall...

Part of me thinks you haven't got clue about what is or isn't properly...

as according to this and your other light in the garage thread.....

the whole arrangement is not for you but for A.N.Other who you are hoping to sell the garage to ...

So how on earth do you know what they may need...

AND why are you designing circuits based on the rating of an MCB in a CU you are thinking of getting...??  

Back to front design in my book..

If I were you I would ask the person who is going to test and certify this installation....

As this whole installation design & testing is so simple to do...

Yet you are having to spend days asking on the internet what you should do??

It all just seems a bit daft and crazy   :huh:

OR...  its all just a wind-up???? :DeadHorse:

No not a wind up, just needs to be right 🙂 why would anyone pay an extra 1.5k+ because garages in London sale for excess... some even for 80k+ especially if they are freehold...

Also, most are leasehold and are sold without power, just as they are (no nearby supply and cannot connect). I am fairly lucky to be granted permission to connect, they were indecisive, so I am keen incase they chage there mind at a later date. They were indecisive, because the garage has no postal address. Only in London is it worth it... or if you own a few in a block.