Dimplex XLE problem - ticking noise

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim99

Reaction score
I had a new Dimplex XLE 150 installed in my living room in November 2018.  Unfortunately it makes a rapid ticking noise intermittently.  This happens intermittently and lasts about a minute, then the noise stops, but it restarts about half a minute later.  This goes on for up to an hour before it settles down and stops.  It's not a loud ticking but is very irritating, especially when the room is quiet.  Any thoughts about the reason for this?  Can anything be done?

I've already been in touch with Dimplex, who have twice arranged for engineers to visit.  But because the ticking is intermittent, sod's law ensured that no ticking occurred during their visits.  The first engineer changed the electronic control panel (or said he did), and the second pushed the bricks back a fraction.  But the problem persists.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can throw any light on this.  Can I demand that Dimplex either fixes it, replaces it, or refunds me?

That noise is the element expanding and contracting and rubbing against the frame that is holding it.

Its "rather" annoying to say the least!

Stu

I think you may struggle to push Dimplex too far if it's fully working.  Probably no-one ever promised it was totally silent.

However, if they've sent someone to it twice, then they are taking your complaint seriously, so I would just ask them nicely to try again.  Record the noise for the technician to hear if it won't perform "live".