Honda to leave Swindon .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I thought when Brexit was announced ...the firms who are here  using Britain as a portal into the big European market would start pulling out .   

I feel the that the others will follow suit  .

I thought Brexit was a mistake and still do .     

How many big UK firms have disappeared since joining the EU, (common market) back in 1975? Those big household names employing thousands of workers, who should have had access to this bountiful European market place to sell their produce?  I suspect the vehicle emissions and green movement for electric vehicles and the general down turn in sales has had more of an impact on Honda (& the Nissan X-trail) decisions than any Brexit factors.  Bucket loads of car,van,truck manufacturing have disappeared either fully or overseas since 1975. Despite what the media may suggest, cause and effect is a lot more complex that just the Brexit Stay/Leave vote. 

Doc H.

Yes I'm sure you're right Doc  , it is very complex ...I know its getting all too easy to blame Brexit . 

I remember Prime Minister Harold Wilson warning that the advance of technology will alter our way of life  and thinking "What the hell is he talking about "? 

Cause & effect ...yes  .    The only techno  was those Ping-pong TV games in the pub  .  Now we have loads of workers that industry doesn't need anymore .   In fact most of the industry  has now gone , what is left is done by robots .    If you made a film about that happening back in the early 1960s   you'd think it was futuristic nonsense .    In fact when Honda have left  will there be a load  of robots shuffling down to the  Job Centre.?  

Online shopping ...Oooo its great !   ...............Oooo   I just ventured out and  all the shops  have gone ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think our government is to blame for a lot of the problems within the car industry, a lot of cars were made here because a lot were sold here, now along comes our stupid government and announces that by 2040, or whenever it was they are going to ban all fuel burning cars! Well that really was a smart move, they're already hammering diesel prices, now they want to get rid of anything that isn't electric. Now we all know this will never happen, but, they've created enough uncertainty to slow the market for new car sales,and the end result is people are going to start shutting plants.

Whatever the reasons for a company failing or moving, we can be sure now that for years to come Brexit is the convenient reason to blame it on.

I think our government is to blame for a lot of the problems within ALL industry, creating uncertainty by the truck load.

Uncertainty and daft ideas.  HS2.  or that scrapped garden bridge thing across the Thames? No, I cant image any half brained ideas creating uncertainty or wasting loads of money paying executives six figure sums. Its a bit like suggesting they'd consider awarding a ferry contract to a company with no ferry's?

Doc H. 

Another twist.

The Japanese built plants in the EU so they could sell their cars into the EU without trade tarrifs.

The EU has just struck a free trade deal with Japan. So soon they will be able to freely sell cars made in Japan to the EU.

Why would then not move production "home" again?

Be careful what you wish for, the law of unintended consequences.

It will still be blamed on Brexit.

But put this into perspective, the workers have just been served 2 years notice.  Any with half a brain will be looking for an alternative job now.  Honda are going to have to pay some pretty damned good loyalty bonuses to stop the workers leaving and remain there to the end.

Todays news, record high employment, record low unemployment.

Don’t you think it’s ironic, the Eu can make trade deals with anyone but us? I say leave with no deal and then make our own trade deals, there is a whole world out there, and as we know it won’t be long before the EU will want a trade deal, as they can’t do anything on their own and will copy everyone else. 

Whatever the reasons for a company failing or moving, we can be sure now that for years to come Brexit is the convenient reason to blame it on.
Yes, like the Diesel pump packing up on my Landrover at Christmas, I'm sure that was down to the uncertainty over Brexit, and me having a stinking cold, come to think of it, maybe that's why my ex ran off with that other bloke, Brexit I mean, not me having a cold. lol