LED strip lighting powered by main lighting ring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky1

Reaction score
Hi all, just hoping some one can please advise on some possible solutions.

I'm in the middle of renovating my property and have decided to have a suspended ceiling lighting frame built.

I need to now add the led strip lighting around the frame, I'll need about 7 meters to go around, RGBWW 24V is preferred choice, I believe that's the best performing. 

The property has been totally rewired, so my question is what's  the best way of wiring up the LED power supply/driver into the main lighting ring, it has to be a safe solution as will need to pass inspection etc.., also do I need to use 2 drivers to power 2 separate strips or can I just get a more powerful driver to power a single 7m strip.

Any suggestions for which products are good quality would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Very tricky to advise without a site visit to be honest ..... How would you plan to switch it on and off?

Hi, well was thinking for  on/off to use just a standard light switch but have the dimming functionality using the driver/remote control/app.

Thanks

If you're having a suspended ceiling I'd guess there,s a light point in the middle which you could take a flex from to feed the drivers .    If its a standard pendant  just remove the lampholder flex  and connect new to it, leaving the rose on the ceiling .

If you're having a suspended ceiling I'd guess there,s a light point in the middle which you could take a flex from to feed the drivers .    If its a standard pendant  just remove the lampholder flex  and connect new to it, leaving the rose on the ceiling .

Hi, yes there are new wires ready to be connected to a new light point  (I think its a 3 core cable actually), just to mention I am also having some spot lights in the suspended ceiling along with the led strip but they will be on a separate switch. 

So I'm wondering what would be the best practise to joining the flex to the transformer, would you use some connecting bridge or something else?

Many thanks!

Well now you need to do some re-wiring above the ceiling as you've mentioned downlights on a separate switch   .  You'd best change to hard wiring , you need a supply down from the ceiling rose  to a junction box .

You need to withdraw the cable from your switch , hook on a 3 core  and draw it back down again ....take the 3 core to the JB .

You need a cable from your driver to the JB .

You need to loop all your downlights together and take the last   loop to the JB  . 

You'll need to remove the switch & fit a  2 gang .   ( Not a 2 way!!  )   

I'll draw it out . 

Scan0006.jpg

Well now you need to do some re-wiring above the ceiling as you've mentioned downlights on a separate switch   .  You'd best change to hard wiring , you need a supply down from the ceiling rose  to a junction box .

You need to withdraw the cable from your switch , hook on a 3 core  and draw it back down again ....take the 3 core to the JB .

You need a cable from your driver to the JB .

You need to loop all your downlights together and take the last   loop to the JB  . 

You'll need to remove the switch & fit a  2 gang .   ( Not a 2 way!!  )   

I'll draw it out . 

View attachment 9882

Many thanks for the advice, this is kind of what I was envisaging, I think the builders already used a 3 core cable from the switch to the ceiling in preparation for something like this, the only difference I think I'll try a get a 2 gang but with a 0/1 switch for the LED's and the to other a dimmer for the spotlights, assuming its possible.

Maybe the op needs to dig deep and employ a spark ......I think I’ve read another chapter of this on another forum ......

Hi, yes I think that may be the best option, just need to find a trustworthy one in my area, will have a look around, but the solution proposed above seems to be kind of what I envisaged.

Thanks!

Hi, yes I think that may be the best option, just need to find a trustworthy one in my area, will have a look around, but the solution proposed above seems to be kind of what I envisaged.

Thanks!

No problem ... may be state your location on here and you never know, somebody may be near you

No problem ... may be state your location on here and you never know, somebody may be near you
Hi all, I'm based in Acton, London W3, if there is anyone that would be able to wire up this led set up please let get in touch, there would also be approx 6 double sockets to fit.

Latest posts