Economy 7 Installation issue ....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Landlord has a flat, its only got 24/7 supply. It was built about 15 years ago and it currently uses panel heaters ...... the new tenant has mould issues and the local environment officer has told the landlord that they HAVE to install storage heaters.

To get an E7 supply from the mains inlet cupboard could prove tricky

The supplier could give them E7 but how could I "control" the inputs to storage heaters (2 are planned) as I can see issues if timers are used, the times get changed then the heaters are getting topped up at peak rate .........

Thoughts?

Thanks

E7 can work over a "single" cable by you providing a contactor switched by a time switch, with the time set to be the same as the off peak time of your supply.

Accepting a small timer error may result in some of your "off peak" usage being charged at the peak rate if your timer switches on a bit early or off a bit late.

As a former landlord, most "damp" issues were the tenants lifestle, failing to heat the property, failing to ventilate it, turning off the bathroom fan (#1 tip, remove any fan isolator switch) and hanging wet clothes washing all round the property to dry. So don't expect the damp problem to go away in a hurry.

Re reading this, at 15 years old I doubt lack of insulation is the issue. I am willing to bet the tenant is too tight to turn the heaters on so the place is cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ I agree.

Saw this a couple of years ago in another flat ............ the tenants never opened any windows, hung their clothes up inside to dry ...the tenants left, new one never has any problems ......... a clear case of lifestyle

I had wondered about using the Horstmann timer system ........

People don't understand the connection between damp and a lack of ventilation, you see it all the time, especially in winter when people are drying clothes on radiators, "don't open that window, the heating is on", there's condensation running down the windows due to the damp from the washing but they won't have it that letting a bit of air in will sort things out. One of the worst ones is tumble dryers, people have an ordinary one and don't vent it, they just switch it on, I remember a woman a while back going on about how it was all black and mouldy behind her units, "it never used to be like that" she moaned, "it's only started about a year ago". She had an unvented dryer in the kitchen, coincidentally the black mould and damp was worst behind that, "how long have you had the dryer?" I asked, " Just over 1 year, why?" she replied, still nor making the connection.

Old night stores are not LOT 20 compliant  and you will find it hard to get them .Dimplex do  the  Quantum heater's that are. but  you need a 24 hour supply plus the off peak supply .

Sorry, I didn’t realise I needed to state lot 20 in my op....
I don't know what you meant by this 

All I was saying that the new heaters will need to be LOT 20 compliant and dimplex 

do the Quantum ones but they require 2 supply's