Every day's a schoolday

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Well, it has certainly been a week for learning, I'm helping a mate do his house up that he has just bought, so far I've learned a lot this week, when wiring a ring you take a big loop of cable around the building, then hack into it with joint boxes and run one cable to each socket, if you run out of JB's then a bit of 15A connector block will do, tape being optional. When running cables under floors, you can run them alongside heating pipes so long as you use a nice sharp bit of metal to keep them off the pipes, oh and you can nail into them, providing you don't nail in the middle.

When dealing with odd musty smells, don't bother looking around, just fit a dozen vent bricks along the side of your house, that should cure it, the 18 inches of water under the floor is bound to go away eventually! Oh and that soil pipe you broke, don't worry that 2-inch gap won't matter, it's bound to seal itself eventually.

I only found the 8 inches of black sludge under the floor after I'd pumped out the water, and it was only when I found the busted soil pipe that I realised that after spending an hour rolling around in it that it wasn't just mud!

Still, on the plus side I've replaced the dining room floor, and the rotten joists that I had to tear up, and I've put a new drain in, and almost replaced all of the knackered pipes on the heating system, only the re-wire to do now.

Obviously the previous owner was a real DIY expert, in this case, I think DIY stood for Destroy It Yourself.