Security light wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just purchased a Shrimp 22W twin led PIR security light...... which I'm having problems with.

I need help with the wiring if possible,

From the wall there are 2 red wires (assuming thats because theres another outside light which works off a switch indoors and possibly the sensor on the new light?) Green/Yellow and a Black wire.

From the light there is a red, blue and a brown wire from the sensor and a black, red, blue and brown wire from a white box inside the light.

Any ideas how to wire this up? I've tried various combinations but so far the light either stays on permanently or it comes on and stays on using the switch indoors.

Thank You for any help.

As it is sold in the UK I would expect a terminal with brown, green / yellow and blue wires connected to it. Any internal wiring may be different colours depending on the functionality.

Perhaps you have gone in too deep?

The wires from the wall may only be switched so it may only work when the switch is on.

Well, it's guesswork but the two red wires from the wall are PROBABLY a switched live via your inside switch to put the light on permanently, and a permanent live, to supply the PIR.

You really need a means of testing to check which is which.

In that case, the permanent live goes to the PIR sensor and the switched (over-ride on) supply to the connection between the PIR sensor output and the lamp.

Regarding the fitting it should have a connection diagram supplied with it (?}. If it doesn't head back to Homebase and insist they get you one. We could guess at those connections too, but you definitely shouldn't have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
No diagram supplied but the info you've just given helps massively, I've been missing the live wire to the PIR/lamp connection. I'll sort tomorrow, THANKS!!

Ok, so I've wired one of the live wires to the red sensor wire and brown main wire and now the light just works on the switch, I've obviously tried switching the live wires but with the same results.

Full list of what is wired where:

Mains Green/Yellow connected to Green/Yellow from light.

Mains Black connected to Blue from main light and Blue from sensor.

Mains Red connected to Red from sensor and Brown from main light.

Mains Red connected to Brown from sensor.

It's really not possible to diagnose any further.

The arrangement you describe looks ok, BUT if the lamp works on the switch with the red supply wires either way, then one is not a permanent supply as earlier guess. 

I'm sorry but you need an electrician with the test gear and knowledge to sort out what you have.

I still think you should pursue getting the missing instructions with the fitting you have bought. You have probably guessed the connections correctly but there may be instructions for setting up the PIR time delay, daylight sensor, and maybe sensitivity, which may be confusing the issue, or which you will want anyway in the long run. Such items may not legally be sold in UK without information on their use. That's part of the CE certification rules.

You could always take the light down and put a bit of flex and a plug on it to figure out how it should be wired.