First post and a quick question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanN

Reaction score
Hi from a first time poster!

I’m going to be needing electrical work doing ahead of a new kitchen being fitted. It will involve adding a new circuit from an existing consumer unit for a cooker. The consumer unit has a spare 32 amp circuit breaker which will meet load requirements but as it is a new circuit I understand it comes under part P regs. Question is will it just be the new work which requires certification or will all existing wiring / circuits need to comply with latest regs? The house is 30 years old so I’m guessing regs have changed within that time and some parts might not comply with today’s standards. 

Thanks, Ian.

The new circuit would need to comply with the latest regulations, 18th edition which came into effect 1st Jan 19. The rest of the installation should be checked to ensure it is fit and safe for continued use.

This is also a good opportunity to bring your installation up to date.

A new circuit can be added to an existing installation as long as the earthing and bonding are in line with the current regs and that the fuseboard has rcd protection too

observations about other circuits should be noted on the EIC 

there is no requirement to bring other circuits up to date 

Last edited by a moderator: