Cross-section area of MIMS sheath

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
Does anyone know the cross-sectional area of the sheath of mineral insulated cable? (I still call it MIMS). I've hunted all over the place, especially in section 543, and can't find a figure. I've a vague memory of calcs for SWA armouring, but also can't find that....

There's lots of 10mm MIMS cable supplying flats, usually after a 60A main fuse and then a 60A switch fuse. In the one i'm working in currently there's some 16mm copper going to the CU from a 'clamp' (as shown in the pic).

CU main earth.jpg

flats supply tails.jpg

I was always told  that  a Pyro sheath  always exceeds  the size of the  cores and are therefore suitable as an earth conductor.  

And Pyro will generally have the  current capacity of the next size up in  , say , PVC cable  .    So your 10mm   is equal to 16mm PVC /SWA  .   

I was always told  that  a Pyro sheath  always exceeds  the size of the  cores and are therefore suitable as an earth conductor.  

good rule of thumb to know, thank you.

And Pyro will generally have the  current capacity of the next size up in  , say , PVC cable  .    So your 10mm   is equal to 16mm PVC /SWA  .   

not quite, according to the table on Andy's link. Pyro/Mineral insulated is higher than PVC but only a bit as I read it?

They say 10mm mims, carries 69A bare, 77A covered. But from appendix four in 7671, it does say 77A in 4G1A and a whopping 96A in 4G2A!

In App 4, I found that PVC cables, clipped direct are:

10mm TnE 64A, SWA 67A, Single 65A.

16mm TnE 85A, SWA 89A, single 86A

As ever, every installation is unique and no value fits all!