Mr S Parks

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr S Parks

Reaction score
Me now doing a job of converting a meeting room(a room within a large commercial office. Perhaps 10? Years old) into a cafe.

Very lacking in space for this fit out so equipment space is valuable.

One of my concerns is the location of the existing Am 3 cu- sited above a metal sink.

The cu will be recessed(but flush with surface) within a prefabricated plywood wall(made off site, delivered then fitted. Complete with holes cut for 1gang/2gang outlets). This allowing my cables to be run behind said wall.

My worries are: proximity of sink and access for maintenance/operation. Cu being approx 800mm above sink and steps stool would be required to access cu

Also, can normal twin and earth be used for the installation or lszh or other such cable?

Can some isolation switches (50A DP for instantaneous hot water units) be located within kitchen units adjacent said HW units? Currently plenty 20Adp grids and 50a do switches above kitchen units.

Cu is 1ph 100a demand is far more😥

Me concerned that I may have overlooked something so any suggestions/comments welcome.

What do you think you should do?

Curious about the CU ......... sounds like you are planning to put it in an awkward position .............. which isn't a good start.

The cu is existing. Swa from upstream mains and not possible to move.

My background is more housing so just concerned I may have overlooked something obvious

I'm still puzzled about the CU ............. you say its existing, but 

"The cu will be recessed(but flush with surface) within a prefabricated plywood wall(made off site, delivered then fitted. Complete with holes cut for 1gang/2gang outlets). This allowing my cables to be run behind said wall."

Either its existing or its not ........... if the wall is being made off site ?????

Wish I had a pic to send.

Aye the office exists as a standard square box with cu already existing but it was decided(to reduce time on site) that two plywood walls(framed out) would be created off site with holes cut as nesseccary to accommodate equipment, etc.

Me runs cables prior to plywood walls being fitted. Then 2nd fix and kitchen stuff gets fitted

Ar, hum, OK

when you said a recessed CU I thought you meant a proper recessed CU, not a standard CU which was going to be "set" into a new stud wall ........ just make 110% sure that you can remove the cover and that any SWA glands are accessible for inspection

Hope this helps