DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

Advice for use of new phone

Evans Electric

I recently changed from button cell phone  to pointy finger at the screen  cellphone.  

I want to import photos from it to the PC  .  With the button phone  I just connected to the PC  , opened Windows Media centre  , it said "Do you want to import  photos ?"    Yes and that was it , it imported ALL photos off my phone . 

Not getting anywhere with this one .    Nokia 1  .    A Nokia programme has opened  but not a lot happening .  I'd like to sell something  on Gumtree  hence importing photos. 

Anyone have an idea. ?    

Murdoch

Down load drop box and use that ,....... on the phone and laptop ..... easy to use once setup 

Richard-the-ninth

send them via either email or bluetooth?

Evans Electric

Thanks guys ,  I'll look into both options .

Just noting I've received a message that "Data  useage will be charged for "    Bare in mind I only ever made phone calls on button phones before .    This things going to cost a fortune  to run  I'll bet .  Its already being  re-charged every two days  and all its doing is sitting in the office .  

Doc Hudson

I would suggest you keep your inkwell topped up, and a few spare quills, just in case you have an urgent message to deal with. These modern phones are far to clever for their own benefit!

Doc H. 

Geoff1946

Doesn't have to cost you a fortune. I'm a recent convert too and find it can be useful to be able to use internet and send / receive messages "on the go".

I have a family castoff iPhone which I resurrected with a new battery. A Sim-only deal with IG costs £5 month and the modest data allowance it gives is more than adequate. (for me). They do need much more frequent charging than the old steam driven types. I plug mine in every evening. 

Regarding accessing photos, as soon as my phone "sees" a computer plugged in it prompts for permission to allow access, then everything is straightforward. 

Evans Electric

Mine did that but I have no idea how to proceed  ,  some sort of programme appeared of it's own volition when I plugged the phone into the PC .  The old steam version was much easier .   I just get irritated  ...much software assumes everyone is  9 yrs old  with a hi- tech wired brain . 

Andy™

usually you can connect a USB cable then it acts as a usb flash drive, find your photos then copy to the pc

Evans Electric

Thats exactly how it worked with my old phone  ,  I think because  Nokia were using Microsoft  softwear  ,  I just opened Windows Media Centre  , plug the phone in , a prompt appeared    , you chose "Import photos "   job done . 

Evans Electric

Thanks for the link Sharpie . 

I'm just looking at this  Sharpie ,  I see a couple of problems ,  it says it can't import photos if they are in the clouds  which  apparently they are . If I take a picture  they are  in "Camera "  in the clouds not onto the memory card  from my old phone  which they call "Captured " .   

Also the reference  to "Click the start button  , then Photos "      I don't have a start button for a start .   I do have "Windows Mobile Device Centre "    which  does nothing , won't open  , just a request  " to  " uninstall"  .

Looking at the link , it says go to "Notifications"   to see if permission is needed to import and not just to "Charge "     but there are no "Notifications"  other than some switches with dire warning s attached  .   

I'm thinking of using the "Pay-as - yow- goo"  supplied with this phone and re- activate the old button one .   

Sharpend

Deke did you read the handbook for the Nokia 1? 

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/support/api/pdf/nokia-1-user-guide?locale=en

Page 33?

Just another thought could you put a memory card in the phone (it has the option) then just take it out and put into pc and transfer? 

Evans Electric

Yes I  downloaded that , it doesn't actually tell an idiot like me how to  import photos  , unless I'm missing it .      I can read it again .  

Theres a memory card in the phone , transferred from the old one,    it has all the photos on it from the old one  but  if I take photo now ,  they don't go onto the card  , they're up in the bleedin' clouds .

I imagine Mr Google & his mates can sit up  there  , scrolling through them  & laughing ..." Whats the daft part photographed now ??"   

Sharpend

Is there a settings button/icon on the phone? Looks like a cog usually. May be able to change settings for the photos to be placed on memory card instead of the clouds? 

Evans Electric

I'll take a look   , thanks for persevering  .  

Evans Electric

I can't see any reference to the memory card in settings  .  

Sharpend

Have you taken a photo then removed card and loaded onto pc to see if it registers photo? 

Have you you got a ‘notification’ button in settings? 

Does this help any better? 

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/support/nokia-1-user-guide/your-photos-and-videos

Edited by Sharpend

SPECIAL LOCATION
On 04/03/2019 at 17:31, Evans Electric said:

Thanks for the link Sharpie . 

I'm just looking at this  Sharpie ,  I see a couple of problems ,  it says it can't import photos if they are in the clouds  which  apparently they are . If I take a picture  they are  in "Camera "  in the clouds not onto the memory card  from my old phone  which they call "Captured " .   

Also the reference  to "Click the start button  , then Photos "      I don't have a start button for a start .   I do have "Windows Mobile Device Centre "    which  does nothing , won't open  , just a request  " to  " uninstall"  .

Looking at the link , it says go to "Notifications"   to see if permission is needed to import and not just to "Charge "     but there are no "Notifications"  other than some switches with dire warning s attached  .   

I'm thinking of using the "Pay-as - yow- goo"  supplied with this phone and re- activate the old button one .   

Somewhere in the past you must have set up some sort of account to have any cloud storage to transfer your photos too...?

And I would have thought A.N.Other file management program to view/copy/move files too-from your cloud storage..?

Maybe not directly related to your phone....   But certainly a file manage management  application so you can see what is on your cloud...

(As Andy says...  I just plug my phone into my PC and it appears exactly the same as any other USB drive on my bog standard windows file manager...

where I Copy or Move files to where I want to keep them...)

:C

Evans Electric

The card is from my old phone  , its contents show up on this new phone  as "Albums"  .   I've never had anything to do with "clouds" before  .

4 hours ago, Sharpend said:

Have you taken a photo then removed card and loaded onto pc to see if it registers photo? 

Have you you got a ‘notification’ button in settings? 

Does this help any better? 

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/support/nokia-1-user-guide/your-photos-and-videos

I'll have a go at this tomorrow  , looks good  Sharpie .  I'm falling asleep  while I.................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 

Evans Electric
On 06/03/2019 at 01:09, Evans Electric said:

The card is from my old phone  , its contents show up on this new phone  as "Albums"  .   I've never had anything to do with "clouds" before  .

I'll have a go at this tomorrow  , looks good  Sharpie .  I'm falling asleep  while I.................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 

Ok   First the good news  ......I have somehow imported  pictures  from "Camera"  in my phone .       They went into Windows Photo Gallery  plus a file in "Pictures" 

The bad news ...........  it doesn't import anything from the memory card    ( The phone doesn't save photos on the memory card , the pictures in there are from the old phone . )  

This Photo Gallery is strange .   It saves every photo & video on the PC  although they are in their own folders .   It also has  dozens & dozens  of   ..  small  unwanted icons  such as  the heading from the Professional Electrician magazine ,  ECN  mag,    many tiny , stupid designs ,   even the  Engineer logos  off  Sidewinder's letterheads  .   

Edited by Evans Electric

Sharpend

It is saving all image files jpg, gif, etc.

good news is you only wanted to be able to import your pics and now you can 

the other files well there just a bonus !! 

Evans Electric

They are listed by year & month  back to  1990  when I must have bought this PC .    

I have a vague idea how got there , from following your link , I realised the  phone was suddenly "talking " to the PC.  

Now  , I don't really like this "Cloud" business ,  which I know actually means a Google computer the size of France  .   I have nothing to hide but  am uncomfortable  tho power that Google must now have  ... guess I'm paranoid  .

Thanks for your patience  Sharpie  .      Murdo  I made a note of "Dropbox"    for future ref.   Thanks . 

Sharpend

Welcome deke, anytime. 

Andy™
33 minutes ago, Evans Electric said:

Now  , I don't really like this "Cloud" business ,  which I know actually means a Google computer the size of France  .   I have nothing to hide but  am uncomfortable  tho power that Google must now have  ... guess I'm paranoid  .

run your own cloud. far easier. soon as i take a pic its syncd directly to my own servers

Evans Electric
2 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

its syncd directly to my own servers

You lost me at the traffic lights  there  Andy !