Advice for use of new phone

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently changed from button cell phone  to pointy finger at the screen  cellphone.  

I want to import photos from it to the PC  .  With the button phone  I just connected to the PC  , opened Windows Media centre  , it said "Do you want to import  photos ?"    Yes and that was it , it imported ALL photos off my phone . 

Not getting anywhere with this one .    Nokia 1  .    A Nokia programme has opened  but not a lot happening .  I'd like to sell something  on Gumtree  hence importing photos. 

Anyone have an idea. ?    

Thanks guys ,  I'll look into both options .

Just noting I've received a message that "Data  useage will be charged for "    Bare in mind I only ever made phone calls on button phones before .    This things going to cost a fortune  to run  I'll bet .  Its already being  re-charged every two days  and all its doing is sitting in the office .  

I would suggest you keep your inkwell topped up, and a few spare quills, just in case you have an urgent message to deal with. These modern phones are far to clever for their own benefit!

Doc H. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't have to cost you a fortune. I'm a recent convert too and find it can be useful to be able to use internet and send / receive messages "on the go".

I have a family castoff iPhone which I resurrected with a new battery. A Sim-only deal with IG costs £5 month and the modest data allowance it gives is more than adequate. (for me). They do need much more frequent charging than the old steam driven types. I plug mine in every evening. 

Regarding accessing photos, as soon as my phone "sees" a computer plugged in it prompts for permission to allow access, then everything is straightforward. 

Mine did that but I have no idea how to proceed  ,  some sort of programme appeared of it's own volition when I plugged the phone into the PC .  The old steam version was much easier .   I just get irritated  ...much software assumes everyone is  9 yrs old  with a hi- tech wired brain . 

Thats exactly how it worked with my old phone  ,  I think because  Nokia were using Microsoft  softwear  ,  I just opened Windows Media Centre  , plug the phone in , a prompt appeared    , you chose "Import photos "   job done . 

Thanks for the link Sharpie . 

I'm just looking at this  Sharpie ,  I see a couple of problems ,  it says it can't import photos if they are in the clouds  which  apparently they are . If I take a picture  they are  in "Camera "  in the clouds not onto the memory card  from my old phone  which they call "Captured " .   

Also the reference  to "Click the start button  , then Photos "      I don't have a start button for a start .   I do have "Windows Mobile Device Centre "    which  does nothing , won't open  , just a request  " to  " uninstall"  .

Looking at the link , it says go to "Notifications"   to see if permission is needed to import and not just to "Charge "     but there are no "Notifications"  other than some switches with dire warning s attached  .   

I'm thinking of using the "Pay-as - yow- goo"  supplied with this phone and re- activate the old button one .   

Yes I  downloaded that , it doesn't actually tell an idiot like me how to  import photos  , unless I'm missing it .      I can read it again .  

Theres a memory card in the phone , transferred from the old one,    it has all the photos on it from the old one  but  if I take photo now ,  they don't go onto the card  , they're up in the bleedin' clouds .

I imagine Mr Google & his mates can sit up  there  , scrolling through them  & laughing ..." Whats the daft part photographed now ??"   

Is there a settings button/icon on the phone? Looks like a cog usually. May be able to change settings for the photos to be placed on memory card instead of the clouds? 

Thanks for the link Sharpie . 

I'm just looking at this  Sharpie ,  I see a couple of problems ,  it says it can't import photos if they are in the clouds  which  apparently they are . If I take a picture  they are  in "Camera "  in the clouds not onto the memory card  from my old phone  which they call "Captured " .   

Also the reference  to "Click the start button  , then Photos "      I don't have a start button for a start .   I do have "Windows Mobile Device Centre "    which  does nothing , won't open  , just a request  " to  " uninstall"  .

Looking at the link , it says go to "Notifications"   to see if permission is needed to import and not just to "Charge "     but there are no "Notifications"  other than some switches with dire warning s attached  .   

I'm thinking of using the "Pay-as - yow- goo"  supplied with this phone and re- activate the old button one .   

Somewhere in the past you must have set up some sort of account to have any cloud storage to transfer your photos too...?

And I would have thought A.N.Other file management program to view/copy/move files too-from your cloud storage..?

Maybe not directly related to your phone....   But certainly a file manage management  application so you can see what is on your cloud...

(As Andy says...  I just plug my phone into my PC and it appears exactly the same as any other USB drive on my bog standard windows file manager...

where I Copy or Move files to where I want to keep them...)

:C

The card is from my old phone  , its contents show up on this new phone  as "Albums"  .   I've never had anything to do with "clouds" before  .

Have you taken a photo then removed card and loaded onto pc to see if it registers photo? 

Have you you got a ‘notification’ button in settings? 

Does this help any better? 

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/support/nokia-1-user-guide/your-photos-and-videos
I'll have a go at this tomorrow  , looks good  Sharpie .  I'm falling asleep  while I.................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 

The card is from my old phone  , its contents show up on this new phone  as "Albums"  .   I've never had anything to do with "clouds" before  .

I'll have a go at this tomorrow  , looks good  Sharpie .  I'm falling asleep  while I.................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 
Ok   First the good news  ......I have somehow imported  pictures  from "Camera"  in my phone .       They went into Windows Photo Gallery  plus a file in "Pictures" 

The bad news ...........  it doesn't import anything from the memory card    ( The phone doesn't save photos on the memory card , the pictures in there are from the old phone . )  

This Photo Gallery is strange .   It saves every photo & video on the PC  although they are in their own folders .   It also has  dozens & dozens  of   ..  small  unwanted icons  such as  the heading from the Professional Electrician magazine ,  ECN  mag,    many tiny , stupid designs ,   even the  Engineer logos  off  Sidewinder's letterheads  .   

Last edited by a moderator: