Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave90

Reaction score
Good afternoon,  I have a problem with no power to sockets in my Extension we had completed 2 yr ago. All sockets on RC board are switched on, downstairs sockets work only in the area before the electrical works. It tripped 4 days ago and we put back on until this morning plugging appliance on then a went off and now no power, again only in area we had additional sockets added. Any help on what it could be ? Tks 

OK  By RC board , I assume you mean an RCD board  ?

Does the RCD trip or is it the circuit breaker ?   

Are the sockets in your extension fed via an RCD  spur unit ?    

Has you done any DIY  work in that area ,  drilling holes  etc ? 

Or are they fed straight from the board ?   Are they fed via  an RCBO   (Which is a  combined RDC/ & Circuit breaker )  ?  

Are you plugging in something new  that  has a fault in it  ?     If so try plugging it in the other circuit  , if it trips that one too  , throw it away .    

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not clear from your description but I read it that something had tripped, and you have now turned on the thing that tripped but there is still no power to the sockets.

If that is the case I suggest you get the electrician who did the wiring back to sort it out as something is seriously wrong. 

Was this appliance plugged in in the extension sockets?

I’m thinking these sockets may have been fed off a spur and the fuse in the spur may have blown? 

Are there any fused spurs on walls adjacent to extension from house side? 

IMHO....   Without any suitable test meters you are p****** in the wind guessing what may or may not be the cause..

This needs some proper diagnostics with correct testing to verify that if/when you find the fault, it is rectified back to a standard within the spec defined by BS7671 wiring regs.

As you could get it working....  BUT not working in a "fail-safe" mode, in the event of a future fault....

Where about are you?  maybe someone on here could come round and test it out to find the cause?

As a general rule if it was an easy fix, you would not be asking on here for advice?

Best get a qualified AND competent person out to visit...

Guinness