Can anyone give me a ballpark quote?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixrising

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and just looking for some friendly advice.

I'm looking to get some electrical work done and have composed a list of the works. In terms of getting quotes should i be focusing on a daily rate or itemising the pricing of the works individually?

Thats what i thought. :)  Is there anywhere on the forum to post a job to get ball park figures of pricing up a job? I've got a list and would love to know people opinions on what they would charge for the works. I know there's factors and location comes into play along with other things but i'm just looking for some opinions really...

I'd say get a few local electricians in and compare their prices .    Make a list of everything you want / need doing  so they are all singing the same tune  .  

If its a domestic job , best to get  guys who are  registered with one of the various named schemes  .   You can see them online  under  "Competent Person's Schemes "   Doesn't matter which one you go with .  

Ideally you 'd get a quote that itemises your list  and if you;ve specified say ,  a Vent-Axia  extract fan  , then that,s what  you expect to see on the wall .

It would say something like  "    Our price to  carry out the above works  would be  £1000 .00     incd VAT  or  Plus VAT  .  

It should include stuff like  "Patching plaster work over buried cables by others ...or...  "Included in our costs "   .    

Thats what i thought. :)  Is there anywhere on the forum to post a job to get ball park figures of pricing up a job? I've got a list and would love to know people opinions on what they would charge for the works. I know there's factors and location comes into play along with other things but i'm just looking for some opinions really...
No one will give a realistic quote without seeing the job .      There are too many factors  .      If you're in London it will be about 1 million times higher ....18th floor flat ... plywood sheet flooring  .....loft space with 10 mtr thick    fibreglass insulation  etc .   

If you try on here, best you confirm your rough location and type of property ....

location matters a lot ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever quotes would need to see the condition of the existing consumer unit (fuse-box),  and the incoming supply meter cables to the consumer unit..

Plus need to verify electrical bonding to incoming gas & water service pipes, (and/or other service pipes)…..

As according to wiring regulation '132.16',  these are essential considerations before any alterations temporary or permanent are undertaken....

So other than very very basic stuff, like "swapping a light fitting over"....  or "re-fixing a damaged socket"..    "replace cable chewed by mice in loft"...  etc.. 

It is almost impossible to give a cost over the internet without a site visit!

Guinness