Switch controlling override switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY GUY

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help. I’ve tapped into a switch in my garage to to extend to another switch that will manually turn down lights on to see if they work ok. I’ve ran T&E from existing feed to my new switch, there I put live to com neutral to term block. Then from there 3core&E (brown to com, black to L1, grey to term block, e to e, to a dusk till dawn sensor. Wired brown to live, grey to neutral, black to L1. Then from there a T&E (brown L1, blue N, E to E, to the down lights. Thing is when the (garage light is on) and the new switch for the lights are on to see if they work ok they do. If I turn the new switch off the solar cell kicks in and they go out. But then if you  switch the garage light of the spot lights go out. Can anyone help out

er.... you really need to learn how a switch works. what you have done is never going to work...

just because its black (or blue) doesnt mean its a neutral...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read the post the lights do work. I have a neutral and live at existing switch, I was just carrying a live feed from existing switch to a new switch to control the down lights 

clearer diagrams would be better. looks more like youre using a 2 way switch with line, neutral & sl all connected to it...

if you really have taken just a unswitch line & neutral from the first switch then there is no way switching something after that would interfere with a light before it, so youve not connected something correctly

This is the switch I’m taking my feed from. The brown is the new feed going into perm live and my blue is going into term block with 2 other neutrals. Theres 2 reds that go into where’s the brown is aswell 

56B11A4D-B190-4C04-8758-6B2202A1902E.jpeg

Meant to add there are two switches that control two lights at each end of garage 

Looks like it's already 2 way ,,,, so you may need to confirm that the live you've connected to is really a permanent one and not switched

think youre onto something there

depending how its wired then either com is the perm live, com is the SL and there is no perm live on any of them, or 1 of the strappers is a perm live but not the com.

Thanks for the help I’m going to have a better look at it tomorrow 

The red and black that’s wired in is my live feed, going to L1 + L2 proved it with a voltage meter. Both reds that are out were wired into com. Am I safe to just to tap into L1 where the live feed is? Thanks 

613EC5EF-8AF4-4ED9-8469-168D1463717E.jpeg

Great tapped into the red in L1 which was the main live coming in turned power back on and nothing works and get no voltage now at the same live feed 🙈

Up and running, tripped the breaker in house. Any ideas what to do at the switch? 

So I’ve tapped my brown into live feed. When garage lights are on switch for the down lights work no problem. When the garage lights get switched off the switch for downlights don’t work. And when I switch the garage lights on the downlights go on then solar puts them out cause it’s daylight. Where I’ve tapped the brown into there’s a constant live feed with the lights being switched off. 

AFEC5762-DC5D-470F-B290-90C9E56FDAE3.jpeg

Think I would have to be there with my meter and a pen and paper to draw out to work it out as I’m getting confused.

Think it would be easy to work out if there.

Where are you?

The red and black in the pic wired into L1 & L2 are coming off the same cable and coming from a live feed from a linear light