Led Ceiling Light Unit wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vish

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I bought a 21 Watt Galaxy LED Lite and whilst fixing it to the kitchen ceiling found that there are 4 connection points in the set - neutral, earth, live and permanent live. I only have three wires on my ceiling connection - live, neutral and earth. Now I have attached the ceiling live to permanent live and neutral to neutral however upon turning the switch in only the recharge green bulb is turning on whereas the whole light unit does not. I have tried connecting the ceiling live wire to unit live wire still no luck. Would love any advice. Many thanks 

It sounds as tough this is an emergency light fitting, you do not have sufficient number of cores to be able to have the light operate as a normal light and as an emergency. 

This particular set up of an Emergency light requires a permanent live to charge the battery circuit and a switched live to operate the light. 

Did you purposely buy this light for your kitchen knowing that it was an emergency fitting? 

Thanks for your reply. I bought it online as a normal led light set. They have not mentioned anything on the pack as well saying this is an emergency light only. They did however wrote on instruction that apart from normal lighting  if there is power cut then it will give you 4 hours of emergency light too. Would that mean that it is not made for UK market?

Just a thought Vish ,   are there any more wires above your fitting ,  tucked away in connectors possibly .?  There often is and one of them will be a permanent live  as opposed to a  switched live . 

Many thanks for the suggestion. I found a permanent live folded inside the ceiling fitting. The bulb is working fine now. Thanks again for helping me out👍

Dear all, I recently put a new led light fixture on kitchen ceiling however the light flickers and goes off every now and then and comes back again after few minutes. Please could I guide about possible reasons. Many thanks. Vish 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear both, please could you guide on why the new led light fixture starts to flicker and then goes off every 15 minutes on its own and then comes back. Is it a wiring issue? Many thanks 

1. I have merged your other post back onto this thread as having duplicate content just clutters the forum.

2. To answer your question, It is  most probably a cheap light fitting with poor quality LED driver circuitry, Unlikely to be a wiring issue in my opinion. Best returned to supplier for refund or replacement.

Doc H

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe to elaborate a bit more on the symptoms you described...….

Or maybe not...  (I am not sure if you are aware but)…

The actual LED bit that produces the light does not directly run off the 230v AC mains supply that comes into your house.

It requires a much lower DC voltage. So in light fittings that have a built in LED lamp, there has to be some driver circuitry that converts the mains 230v to a usable voltage for the LED element.

It is not at all unusual for this circuitry to fail, even though the actual LED bit is still fine.

It sounds to me like something is overheating in the circuitry, goes off, cools down a bit, comes back on, flickers then goes back off till it cools again. but that is just guessing!

Unlikely to be your wiring IMHO.

Guinness

:Salute