Changes in the 17th edition.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I know that there are several of you that haven't read the 17th edition BS7671:2008 as yet.

But to those of you who have.... Do you mind listing the changes, that you know of, that are in the 17th edition?

I know that you know this - but for those who don't:-

1/. RCD required for sockets for general use as well as mobile equipment

2/. Section 701 Bathrooms, Each circuit to require a 30mA RCD (Goodbye Supplementary Bonding :( )

3/. Regulation 132.13 Documentation for every installation as per chapter 51 and part 6.

4/. New special location added:

709 Marinas

711 Exhibitions

712 Solar power systems

717 Mobile units

740 temporary installations for fair ground rides, circuses

753 Floor and ceiling heating systems

5/. Changes in zone definitions for swimming pools and other basis and sauna ZONES A B C are changed for zones 0, 1 ,2,3

6/. New tables based on nominal voltage of 230 volts rather than 240 volts

240v Fans always were allowed in Zone 1 if you couldnt reasonably put it in zone 2

AFAIK

some council inspectors wouldnt allow it ,have even seen them make peeps remove the fans and source other ways to vent the shower....now i spose itll be different but as long as the inspectors have been updated then itll be ok ,maybe

I know that there are several of you that haven't read the 17th edition BS7671:2008 as yet.But to those of you who have.... Do you mind listing the changes, that you know of, that are in the 17th edition?
I have not bought my copy of the new regs yet. But I understand that all circuits in domestic premises are to have 30mA RCD protection. Big mistake putting cooker and immersion circuits through 30 mA RCD'S.

240v Fans always were allowed in Zone 1 if you couldnt reasonably put it in zone 2 AFAIK
Fans must be of ipx4 rating and protected by 30ma rcd and can not be reasonably placed in zone 2

I have never agreed with this reg so I would always use a 12v fan with trany outside of bathroom if the only place I could fit it was zone 1

I thought that was why these 12v fans were invented for

if you go by IEC regs then you will more than comply.

still nothing has to be on 30mA RCD. why do people think this?

remember folks. you do NOT have to comply with 7671, it is only a recommendation.

comply with reg 16 of EAWR and thats it, job done.

oh. one last thing.

IMHO ring finals should be outlawed. X(X( X(

r.e. changes 16th -> 17th.

On my 2382-200 course I have just done, we noticed a bit of wording in relation to Caravans & Caravan Parks;

which are now seperate sections in Part 7, 708 & 721.

In the parks bit (708) it defines the distance from supply connection to accomodation on pitch as max 20m

and

In the caravans bit (721) it defines the max connecting lead length as 25m +/-2m

Which is all very sensible, and not needed on most everyday situations....

but could be a useful little trap question for people doing 17ed course!

The 20m figure was mentioned in the training DVD we watched

& a couple of guys on the course (including the lecture!!!)

thought it was a mistake on the DVD, obviously thinking of the lead length not the outlet to pitch length?

It Just made me suspicious the fact it was mentioned on the DVD?

may be worth noting? ?:|

I had to read one bit a couple of times. A 240v extract fan, IP X4 is now allowed in zone 1. Would have to carefull of showerhead position though
I can't see the point.

Screwfix sell a 12V fan inc tranny for

Exhibitions now have there own chapter. There are going to be some very disappointed exhibition electrical firms out there.

Used to be that a rcd test and a loop impedance test were carried out on the final circuits as they were classed as 'temporary installations'. Now a full test is required as 'temporary installations' are seen as more risky than permanent.