PE Magazine - SPD's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This article in PE magazine caught my eye:

https://professional-electrician.com/technical/surge-protection-requirements-domestic-dwellings/

Written (or should I contributed by Europa Components)

and the "recommendation" reads as follows:

"Recommendations
Considering the price and availability of surge protection devices it seems valid to recommend their installation in domestic dwellings, regardless of risk assessment. It is better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. If declined, a recommendation can be noted on the schedule of test results or the periodic inspection report."

But this statement in the previous paragraph it says "except for single dwelling units where the total value of the installation and equipment therein doesn’t justify such protection."

Confusing or misleading or what!

Can't help thinking that after over 50 yrs  I never came across an installation hit by lightening  or these mysterious surges  TBH    .   

About 5 years ago, there was a lighting strike near me that affected people using Virgin media connections ........... not sure how an SPD would have helped them!

OK I lived in a house at 1000+ft above MSL with an overhead supply. I never had any problem with transient voltages affecting electrical equipment in twenty years. Believe me, some of the electrical storms were spectacular.

As for the phone lines, they were a different matter. I fitted a network of MOV’s and GDT’s on the line to solve the problem of phones, etc becoming toast.

As for the requirement of SPD’s under normal circumstances, I don’t think so.