Regularly Serviced?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks about normal. Was there a gasket for the lid, it doesn’t look like it. I hate aluminium terminal boxes due to them rotting away.

Remove the box from the motor and apply silicon sealer to the joint and do the same for the box lid. Terminal blocks are easy enough to get hold of (Morganite) or you can make your own with Paxolin sheet, brass countersunk bolts and Araldite.

In the past and in desperation I’ve made terminal boxes using an adaptable box. It looked naff but it got things moving. PS you need lots of Denso tape.

Yes, but what exactly does a "service" of a motor terminal box consist of?

No, the machine was apparently being serviced.....by different people every 3 months. Leaving money on the table aside from not being proactive. Would have expected one of them to have at least taken the lid off and done a visual.

Looks about normal. Was there a gasket for the lid, it doesn’t look like it. I hate aluminium terminal boxes due to them rotting away.

Remove the box from the motor and apply silicon sealer to the joint and do the same for the box lid. Terminal blocks are easy enough to get hold of (Morganite) or you can make your own with Paxolin sheet, brass countersunk bolts and Araldite.

In the past and in desperation I’ve made terminal boxes using an adaptable box. It looked naff but it got things moving. PS you need lots of Denso tape.

No idea about a gasket. I just got a call from a lad on site to help diagnose it faulting.

Tripping a 16A breaker. Think it might be a bit wet in there! 

Off now for a refurb. 

Off now for a refurb. 

Sending motors away for repair was something I stopped at the foundry, if we could repair a motor on site we would. It saved the company £1000’s, did I get to see any of it ? ? ? ? like hell I did ! ! ! !

Maintenance on a bog standard motor isn’t difficult, see

Sending motors away for repair was something I stopped at the foundry, if we could repair a motor on site we would. It saved the company £1000’s, did I get to see any of it ? ? ? ? like hell I did ! ! ! !

Maintenance on a bog standard motor isn’t difficult, see

Had my fill of motors. I was mate to an armature winder too many years ago.

Gone are the days of me bringing site motors home to dry them out in the oven! :)

Mind I no longer gently boil up half tins of Temaxol on the hob so all the swarf sinks to the bottom!

Last edited by a moderator: