Interserve in trouble..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outsourcing, the process of selling off work to a third party who offer great savings at the expense of employees wages and terms of employment, thereby attracting lettuced staff who don't know what they are doing and do half a job, thereby p****** off customer who then demands job done properly as per contract  wiping out any profits - net result dead company. (But the directors have of course paid themselves lots of money so don't give a ****!). 

I remember one large haulage firm near me, they had their own plumber, bricky, joiner, plumber, and a couple of sparks, they got a new senior manager who decided to get rid of them all and outsource the work, it cost a small fortune in redundancy payments, then the fun really began, he wanted to use a firm he knew to do the maintenance, no doubt he was going to take a backhander! However, it was down to the contracts manager to decide who got the work, I ended up with the contract for the electrical work and it turned into a nightmare, this senior manager found fault with everything anyone did.

One day I was partway through a job and had to nip to the wholesalers for some kit, even though my tools were still at the location I was working at, he rang the contracts manager and told him I'd finished the job and left without cleaning up! In the end after several incidents I told them to shove the work, it wasn't worth the aggro, he alienated every tradesman who went on the site. Eventually he got his people in and they were terrible, the work was of a very poor standard, but the price was high, this happens with a lot of firms, one firm I worked for were known for being expensive, they got the contract to do a load of work for a firm even though they were about 10 grand dearer than any of the others who'd quoted for the work. Apparently, they got the work as the guy issuing the contracts wanted a conservatory on his house, and surprise surprise, shortly after we started the work a number of our lads ended up building him a conservatory, apparently it was a thank you gift for awarding us the contract for the work, still at least we know how come they got the job despite being ten grand dearer, don't we.

My office was next to the procurement office. After 5-15 PM phone calls were made to suppliers which nobody was supposed to hear, a bit difficult with just a stud wall between us.

At another company I found out tenders were delayed by a day so a particular contractor could get a lower bid in. Back handers were stopped, unfortunately the day after the moratorium a package was delivered from Germany addressed to me. The most naff clock you have ever seen.

An old friend (RIP) was appointed site engineer on a reservoir dam wall after the load logs showed discrepancies in materials in and out. It was found over half the cement through the front gate went out the back gate. The dam wall was so weak it would have collapsed if the dam was full. It had to be started all over again.

I’ll never claim to be innocent but knowing how to cover your tracks and cook the books helps.

I know a man who got a nice new driveway redone with very expensive kiln bricks for free... Funny he was in charge of overseeing the project to re line one of the kilns we were about to re commission.