And you think you have problems?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nurse call system in a care home. ****e panel design for fault finding
A lot of those wires look like redundant cores from excessive multi cables.  A call system I've worked on used just two cores to each and every call point, all in parallel,  and four cores to the sounder/indicator points.station

A lot of those wires look like redundant cores from excessive multi cables.  A call system I've worked on used just two cores to each and every call point, all in parallel,  and four cores to the sounder/indicator points.station

not this one. had 2 return lines from the call point, 1 for the light, 1 for the sound. 1 of the call points was faulty and sending a sound signal back but no light... took a while disconnecting each wire until the culprit was found

newer versions tend to digital or 'bi-wire' so much easier

So do the Yanks refer to them as Screwits or dogs c@cks? 

I took great pleasure removing some a while back and fitting 5 way WAGOs!

I've a bunch of Tenby "screwits" somewhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of Screwitts   ,  over the years I've come across loads of them  on domestic rewires  , under floors , on rubber insulated cables  usually on lighting .  

In all honesty , every one was actually a sound connection  , possibly fitted in the 1930's  / 40's & 50's .    

The usual example would be  three   1/.044    single  rubber cables , twisted in the same direction as the Screwitt thread , then the porcelain Screwitt fitted , never any insul. tape and left under the floorboards  until rewire time .    

As an apprentice the tradesman I was with gave me screwit’s for a fire suppression job. I took one look at them and refused to use them. I went to the workshop and got Garelco connectors (can anyone remember them?).

Following that and another incidence “Der Management” kept us apart. I wasn’t exactly happy as he’d wired a new board with the live on the neutral bar.

Yank wirenuts...available in this country by Ideal...twist the wires themselves. Also,available in Weatherproof . I have some for a Yank irrigation system on Golf Courses

screwits.....you have to twist the wire first.

funfact

SCREWIT was the name of the company. They produced two sizes of connector

MIDGETS.....because they were small

NORMALS...because theynwere

probably have to rebrand them nowadays