Outside light suddenly started working after 8 years

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma1982

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for some advice if possible. We have an outdoor security light. It has never worked for the 8 years we have lived here. It's wired into the wall as we can see the wire but there is no switch, it's not been papered over we've checked. It has just suddenly started working again about an hour ago and has stayed on constantly. We have not had any work done or done anything that could have caused it to start working again so I'm worried it's some sort of electrical fault that has made it come back on, is this possible? Thanks so much 🙂

Probably switched on either by a dusk dawn sensor or a PIR, either way sounds like something is faulty and needs checked out and probably changed.

Are you 100% sure there isn’t a switch? Sounds odd that it’s started working after 8 years
Yes we've felt along all the walls no papered over switches. It's still on now. the wire seems to come into the back bedroom but can't feel or see anything. It's far too bright and is right by the neighbours garden which isn't great. Will have a look at the light itself tomorrow when it's light and maybe switch mains off and on again. It definitely hasn't came on ever before me and neighbour have even commented before saying we've both got lights with no switches that don't work. Nothing at all changed to make it work we were both sitting in living room watching Tele and it just came on. All other electrics in the house are fine.

Probably switched on either by a dusk dawn sensor or a PIR, either way sounds like something is faulty and needs checked out and probably changed.
Thanks will have a look at it tomorrow when it's lighter and the security light has hopefully gone off.

The light is still on despite it being light out. Turned mains on and off to reset it didn't work. Turned each fuse switch off one by one and found that it's wired into the one for the upstairs and downstairs sockets so can't even turn it off that way. Just so strange to suddenly working again after all these years.

Sounds like its been connected to the socket circuit by a fused spur - can you try switching these off on the socket circuit to see what happens?

Hi I am looking for some advice if possible. We have an outdoor security light. It has never worked for the 8 years we have lived here. It's wired into the wall as we can see the wire but there is no switch, it's not been papered over we've checked. It has just suddenly started working again about an hour ago and has stayed on constantly. We have not had any work done or done anything that could have caused it to start working again so I'm worried it's some sort of electrical fault that has made it come back on, is this possible? Thanks so much 🙂

It is not uncommon to find outdoor lights with PIR operation, to be wired directly into a circuit, (lights or sockets), with no means of isolation. Typically installed by Builders, Handymen, or DIy'er who "know how to do electrics". They just run a permanent supply out the wall to where the light fitting is going, but completely forget to include any method to switch the item on or off. The PIR works all happy for the first few months till the builders have been paid, then it is only later that problems like yours arise.  There may possibly be a fused spur in the loft/airing cupboard/garage/behind the wardrobe/under the floorboards etc. or it could be just connected directly into a socket/junction box/light etc.. Sounds like it needs a bit of detective work to A) identify the circuit then B) trace the wiring through the circuit till you find a point where an unexpected cable appears at an accessory.

Doc H. 

Just wondering if there was a very quick power outage on the mains in your area  ,  some  of those  lights  stay on permanently  if you flick the  power switch off / on quickly. 

However if you turn that circuit off for a short while that should return it to it's normal state  of not actually working  again .  

As the others have said ,    if done correctly,    there should be a switched  spur  somewhere  that controls that light .      ( Like a light switch  but also has a fuse in the front) 

If the light is one of the older  500 watt  ones , it will cost you a fortune  leaving it on .   

This reminds me of fault finding in a friends home a couple of years ago ........ their kitchen (existing room) , new dining room and utility lights didn't work ....................... 

In the end I located a fused spur, which their young child had switched off ............ why the builders electrician had chosen to "link out" the kitchen lights and run the new ones from the fused spur is anyone's guess .............. I did speak to the contractor , who couldn't see why it was an issue! But for me, when you can add lights to a lighting circuit, you should!

Perhaps their (hhum) electrician (hhum) didn’t want to take responsibility for the existing install? It’s a cleaner job to only fill out a (hhum) new installation certificate!!

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. Have taken bulb out for now to keep neighbours happy and electrician coming tomorrow.