Smart meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memo

Reaction score
Hi I had a smart meter fitted on the 25th January 2019 my first reading showed 1100 units recorded on the 5th February which photoed and sent to my energy company as they had not received it electronically 

now the fun begins according to that reading I used 100kwt a day I average "7"

which I am now monitoring daily and yes 6/7 a day is normal 

they are doing a test soon to check the meter to see if it's faulty if it proves not where do I stand they say my bill is £290

something was dreadfully wrong from installation to the first 11 days now all seems to be accurate HELP

The very first thing you should have done is taken a reading IMMEDIATELY whe  the meter was installed.  If it has been done properly, the meter man  will have stuck a sticker in the meter box, with the serial number of the removed meter and it's reading, together with the serial number of the new meter and it's reading.

Between these 2 you should see what you have USED. Don't assume the new meter started with a reading of 0.

Why did you photograph it and send it? that may just have confused the issue.

And there are so many different readins available from a smart meter, are you sure you have got the right one?

Take readings daily , at the same time, from now until it’s sorted ......

do you have any old bills that show your historic consumption?

i would say that the new meter didn’t have zero when it was installed and that is the problem ..... proving it could be tricky, but using 100 kw per day , for 11 days running takes some doing unless you are growing plants in your loft

Last edited by a moderator:
might be worth a look at the Martin lewis money website, they tend to have people with more legal knowledge than us. Problems with smart meters are not unknown.

The problem with smart meters is they can be altered remotely, we had one fitted and were on pay as you go, I topped it up but nothing went on the meter, I rang them and they said try again and if it didn't work they'd refund me the money, so I did, and it didn't. It turned out the meter monkey had set it up wrong, they altered it remotely and refunded my money, if they can do this then they can alter other things. Sounds like someone has made one hell of a mistake then corrected it and said nothing, hoping you'll just pay up.

I hate them with a vengeance  for NOT building a 100A  isolator into them .  

Said it was extra expense ....yet now on about mark 6  on the smart-arse techno - side of them ....how difficult would a switch have been ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fully agree with you, an isolator was in the original specification.

Fitting an isolator after the meter probably costs more than sticking to the original specification. The isolator also introduces more possible connection failure points.

Then of course there’s all the other glitches which non of the meter companies seem willing to address.

Yet another ill thought out economic master plan.

I hear that the utilities will be fined if they don't get them all fitted by 2020  . 

Just been on The Money Programme  , the phase 1  meters  can't be used if you change supplier so they become an ordinary meter .

Presumably phase 2 meters can be tuned into a new supplier .  

I hear that the utilities will be fined if they don't get them all fitted by 2020  . 

Just been on The Money Programme  , the phase 1  meters  can't be used if you change supplier so they become an ordinary meter .

Presumably phase 2 meters can be tuned into a new supplier .  

which is 1 of the key reasons I advise people NOT to have them

The "people" who came up with the spec for the initial "smart" meters should be shot at dawn................

I always had the impression they were steam rollering them into production  to cash in ....hence the reluctance to incorporate an isolating switch ...they certainly didn't want to know about those. 

As I said I would shot the lot of them at dawn ..................... idiots, the lot of them. Wouldn't trust them to organise a drinks party in a brewery

The reason these smart meters are being rolled out is so that half hourly billing can be forced upon us.  THAT is the main reason I will resist one as long as I possibly can.

But they are being "sold" to the public as it will save you money?  NOT if you get charged 30 or 40p per unit to cook your dinner at 6PM it bloody well won't.

That is miss selling surely?  Next PPI scandal  were you miss sold a smart meter on the promise it would reduce your bills?