Leaving British Army

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwill

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time reading this...

I have been in the army for 14 years and during which time I have been working at weekends and my leave time for an electrician who taught me from scratch. Although this was all in the domestic side I have worked on several re wires of houses, replaced CU'S etc.

I currently hold 18th edition, Part P and a napit certificate of competence. 

I am currently looking for any job opportunities with an electrician  in the M3 corridor area to gain more experience or any guidance or advice of how to progress further leaving the forces into being an electrician would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Don’t the armed force personnel get assistance with funding for new qualifications, I know they used too.

Have you any Electrical Installation qualifications?  

I don't think they do  other than if you were in the REME   say , you would leave with some suitable qualifications.  

As Sharpie says ,  you will definitely need  whatever the current quallies are .   

Not sure about the ones you mention , with respect .

18th edition  is a refresher  is  it not ?

Part P  means nothing  (Other than its a section in the Building Regs  that says  Domestic Electrical work has to done by a Competent Person)  

Are you registered  with  NAPIT  as a Competent Person  on their  Domestic Installers  scheme?  

Would you be in your middle 30s now  ?     I wish you all the best with this but I won't pull any punches .... we get a lot of guys  looking to re- train  or enter the trade  as an older operative  and its bloody hard going .      Its just as hard as a school leaving apprentice to get a start .  

You have to do the courses  in your own time & pay for them ,  unless there IS some after assistance for ex- squaddies ,  I hope there is . .      (Beware of the  rip off merchants who put you on  useless courses with promises of being an electrician at the end .  You MUST do the relevant courses  not the  airy-fairy  ones    )     

Go to your local college  and see what the relevant  courses are  .     Someone on here will tell you when they read this .

You need to get a  CSCS card  and a job as an Adult  Mate  or Trainee  for the practical experience  while you do the courses at night .