Sign on the wholesaler's counter .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am confused.

At a wholesaler they provide YOU with an invoice to pay for the goods you have bought.  Of course they will have your name, won't they? and YOU are THEIR customer.

Is this now saying they have to provide the names and addresses of all people they sell to to HMRC?  Just a way for them to find out about electricians not registered and not paying their taxes?  In which case as we are all honest folk on here, we have nothing to worry about?

Loads of builders and alike use Wickes and Screwfix, et al ................ are they exempt?
Doubt it  , just quoting Denmans .    They have added  .." One reason for this is to  identify for recalls"   ..but HMRC  don't do recalls . 

Its for the purchaser at the counter ...not everyone will have an account .    

They also added  ."   If refused we will state that  on the invoice "    

Doubt it  , just quoting Denmans .    They have added  .." One reason for this is to  identify for recalls"   ..but HMRC  don't do recalls . 

Its for the purchaser at the counter ...not everyone will have an account .    

They also added  ."   If refused we will state that  on the invoice "    

Sounds like a drive to push more business to the sheds ............. where nothing is traceable!

The man who owned Screwfix  sold it to  Kingfisher   (B&Q)    He also owned Toolstation  which he sold to Travis Perkins  , who also own Wickes  , whose profits dropped in 2017  .     revenue in 2017  =  £6.4 billion 

I'd say he had his head screwed on .   

my business name and address is on all invoices, and my customers name and address is on my invoices to them, so what are they on about?
You don't need to convince us Binky .     . Have to say theres a quite a few  customers only dealing in cash ,  not me of course , wouldn't touch the stuff,     I think they all work for the same firm ,  Mohamed's . 

Give me a nice , bouncey, traceable  cheque  anyday ,  then I can drive around Brum looking for a bank thats not disappeared  .  

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an independent wholesaler near me who is astonished how many customers have gone from cash to electronic payments .......... I don't have an account with them as they do all their account business with paper and pens ..............

I do very little with cash, my main contract has an account with several wholesalers, I just go and get what I need and stick it on their account, I'm on their books part time, so that takes care of that. The one I hate is City, the last time I had any dealings with them I looked online for the part I needed, yes they sold it, yes,  I rang the branch, yes they had it in stock , and it was £13 inc vat. Great, I rock up at the branch, the spotty oik behind the counter looked at me like I had multiple heads, "dunno if we have them mate, never heard of that, I'll go an ave a look" he told me, I replied that I'd looked on the website and they had 6 held in stock at that branch.He wandered off and returned about 5 minutes later, "yeah, we got one, it's 25 quid plus vat". Cue my favourite saying, "get me the manager, NOW!

They sell to anyone who walks in Sprocket .  And many sparks doing cash only . Thankfully I have a 60 day account  or I wouldn't have survived  in the commercial sector.   Theres a different price for Joe Public  .  They produce that monthly pricing magazine which is very useful to the small operator  ..the ones out on the counter now have no prices in  them after complaints from account customers.  

my business name and address is on all invoices, and my customers name and address is on my invoices to them, so what are they on about?
I've used various trade outlets before without an account and had an invoice printed out as "cash customer" or similar.

They sell to anyone who walks in Sprocket .  And many sparks doing cash only . Thankfully I have a 60 day account  or I wouldn't have survived  in the commercial sector.   Theres a different price for Joe Public  .  They produce that monthly pricing magazine which is very useful to the small operator  ..the ones out on the counter now have no prices in  them after complaints from account customers.  

Yes, fallen foul of that before myself. I used to use a local independent wholesaler but on more than one occasion he quoted my customer a lower price for the products I'd fitted than he gave me. Made me look a right C*"t. I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself, don't need anyone else to do it

Most "wholesalers" are desperate for the business and don't give a hoot who they give discount to......................... they may claim otherwise but seen it happen on many an occassion