Average install costs across the country ...NICEIC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NICEIC  announce their new  e-newsletter .

Kicks off with  average installation costs in our industry.

Replace   consumer unit    £  364.60

Install 1No  socket               £ 73.76

Additional circuit to new room        £ 182.69

External security light                          £ 97.42

Rewires :

2 bed flat/house              £  2348.79

3 bed                                     £  3085.12

4 bed                                     £  3858.54 

VAT is not mentioned  but I'd guess its included as they're all domestic  and end with some odd pence  .          

Any comments.   Personally I don't think you can "Average"  them out  as every job is different . 

Last edited by a moderator:
As I say EVERY time pricing comes up .............location matters A LOT

So somebody reading these prices in Central London gets the impression that they can get an extra socket for £73.76 ................... which is madness

And as for rewires ............. is that high spec? mid spec? or high spec.

I'm not a member of the NIC but if others I I hope you comment on this!

As you say , its a meaningless exercise .   They must have taken a poll of members and achieved an average  figure .  

Looking at the 3 bed semi  @ £3085   looks cheap to me  although I can't do them anymore  ( Due to knees  & my mate's heart )   we'd be looking at more than that TBH 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone a member of the NICEIC ..... who could “challenge” them about this ?

Never mind that, is there a Nic member on here that was actually approached about their pricing structure??  

It would be natural to expect the Nic to have polled their own at the very least or am I too believe they didn’t poll their own but those attached to other scams????

Never mind that, is there a Nic member on here that was actually approached about their pricing structure??  

It would be natural to expect the Nic to have polled their own at the very least or am I too believe they didn’t poll their own but those attached to other scams????

Hum ..... good thinking batman ..... maybe they just made these figures up, or worse pinched them off another site .....

install cct to a new room would be about right if you use £17 an hour / 8 hours work, but since when can you work for less than £25 / hour and make a living?

Don’t be silly Murdo, you’ll probably find their prices are from 2016, it’s oniy now they’ve got round to dusting and sorting all the survey results to compile report!!! 

Do you have a "copy"?

We don't!
Well I saw a remark on a Facebook site where an NIC employee made clear that it wasn't based on the 18th Edition. The e-mail from the NIC also states that it is not a suggestion of under or over charging but simply stating what the average prices are. However I am well aware that many are unhappy that these average prices were published and feel it serves little positive purpose.

Well I saw a remark on a Facebook site where an NIC employee made clear that it wasn't based on the 18th Edition. The e-mail from the NIC also states that it is not a suggestion of under or over charging but simply stating what the average prices are. However I am well aware that many are unhappy that these average prices were published and feel it serves little positive purpose.

100% spot on ............ more like set customers expectations on the low side ........... which means the very people that the NICEIC want to encourage to use CPS members are instantly thinking they are getting ripped off!