NICEIC DI?........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that @Murdoch is correct in that there is no qualification or scheme requirement required to undertake EICR's, but if you want to issue EICR certificates/paperwork including the NICEIC logo, then they insist that you are Approved Contractor status.

My understanding is that @Murdoch is correct in that there is no qualification or scheme requirement required to undertake EICR's, but if you want to issue EICR certificates/paperwork including the NICEIC logo, then they insist that you are Approved Contractor status.
Exactly my understanding, well almost.

There is the legal requirement of competence for undertaking EICR work, it may not be in 7671 but it is in EAWR.

?? Strange, I'm a DI and have never been told I cant do EICR's. In fact, the only difference Ive seen between DI & AC is that AC costs more.

Having said that, don't think I'll be NIC for too much longer, they really are taking the piss when it comes to cost

Bet the rules change when landlords have to legally have EICR's undertaken on a 5 year rota or change of tenant; my money is on it will be 

• you have to be a scheme member 
  • the cost will be additional to your DI fee
  • you will have to undertake the schemes training
  • you will be assessed yearly

Not that it matters to me ............i've kicked the DI approval in to touch for now   :D

?? Strange, I'm a DI and have never been told I cant do EICR's. In fact, the only difference Ive seen between DI & AC is that AC costs more.

Having said that, don't think I'll be NIC for too much longer, they really are taking the piss when it comes to cost

You can do them but not use NIC logos etc - if you look at their shop you will only find AC EICR certs not DI EICR certs ....

From their site:

https://www.niceic.com/join-us/approved-contractor-scheme

APPROVED CONTRACTOR SCHEME

The scheme covers:

electricians working on commercial and industrial installations

electricians working on domestic installations

electrical installation condition reporting (testing, inspection, PIRs)

street lighting installers

security systems installers

any other activity covered by BS 7671

https://www.niceic.com/join-us/part-p-domestic-installer-scheme

DOMESTIC INSTALLER SCHEME

This scheme is designed for contractors solely looking to register domestic installation work in accordance with the Building Regulations. The scheme covers low or extra low voltage work including:

Design

Installation

Certification

Agreed.

Which scheme(s) are you considering instead?

Approved Contractor used to cover fire alarms aswell - you have to have a copy of whatever BS standard you need and guidance book on Fire and Emergency lighting, but it has been dropped. Apparently too many ACs were getting it wrong so NICey have allowed BAFE to stitch the market up. 

Fundamentally nothing has changed since before part-P ever came along. Any person who is sufficiently qualified and competent with adequate knowledge, experience and understanding of the type of installation they are inspecting, can do a periodic inspection and report it on an EICR based on the model forms in the back of BS7671 and/or GN3. This form can have whatever the contractor wants to write onto it, providing it also has all of the essential information detailed on the BS7671 model forms.  If the contractor wants to put any other brand-names or Logo's on the report, they would have to adhere to the requirements stipulated by the logo/brand name owner. (which may or may not differ from BS7671).

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
lets be honest about t, unless you are using scam brands on your paperwork, it's not far short of a 'free for all' 

Correct, the only fixed criteria in my mind are (i) Does the client specify a particular branded product. (ii) Is there any economic / competitive business advantage for the contractor to assist promoting a particular band image.  If a brand image is needed jump through their hoops, if not providing you are competent, with appropriate insurance to cover your back if something goes pear shaped, then just get on with it.

Doc H. 

Oh but you watch the pop up companies that will offer them for ridiculous price, well we have some already but can you imagine it will be a licence for them to appear in their droves!