12vdc caravan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steviebhoy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to run a under counter fridge freezer ( via an inverter)  I have 270w solar panel & a bank of 110ah leisure batteries.  The fridge freezer is 50w , how big an inverter would I need? 

I don't know the actual answer to your question, but several times greater than the nominal 50 watt rating.

The motor will have a high inrush current at switch on which will tend to make a smallish invertor cut out, and probably lock out, as an overload. 

I don't know the actual answer to your question, but several times greater than the nominal 50 watt rating.

The motor will have a high inrush current at switch on which will tend to make a smallish invertor cut out, and probably lock out, as an overload. 

Hi Geoff, I was looking at a 800w inverter to cover the high inrush current 

Hi Geoff, I was looking at a 800w inverter to cover the high inrush current  
Sorry, but I really wouldn't like to guess if it will work. Invertors and unpredictable loads are bad news.

If you are buying locally perhaps the invertor supplier will let you try it(?).

BTW. I don't have any specifications but my gut feeling is that 50 watts is way too low for such a machine. Are you sure about it?

I put an Antares CSR2 Inverter on to a narrow boat for the fridge/freezer