300kg door magnets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THe property is flats buit circa 10-12 years ago. All corridor access doors are fitted wirh standard 300 kg dor magnets, which are doing what they are suppossed to do, magnet and keeper plates meet, but with a sharp tug, you can pull the doors open. So question is:-

1/ can you normally overcome door magnets so easily? I'm sure the ones I hve fitted inthe past were not so easily overcome.

2/ would this suggest door magnets are knackered?

3/ would this suggest power supply is undersized? Not sure what the supply is, it was tucked away in a locked cupboard.

Your thoughts please.

does the armature align correctly and have some movement on the bolt holding it?

have you got the voltages right - they are usualy 12 or 24v, but if you give it 12v but set to 24v it will be weak

itll be a slimline mag (usually 250-300kg). standard are 500-550kg

they align correctly, but just don't hold well. I spent a couple of hours shaving one of the doors which has dropped in it's frame to correct magnet / keeper plate alignment, and it still doesn't hold properly. Not sure what voltage they are set for as I couldn't access the power supply., but I think they are 12v? 

There is some movement on the keeper plate, rubber washer is fitted. Can't quite remember as it's a long time since I went in one of the cupboards with the power supplies in, but I think the doors share power supplies - standard 4A units, 2 doors per supply, so possibly power supply isn't man enough?

When you say you can "pull the doors open"   I take it you are talking about security door keeps ? 

I  was thinking in terms of fire alarm  magnets holding fire doors open ..to close on alarm. 

open the cover and measure the voltage on them. then check to see if the jumpers / switch is set to the voltage you have. 2 jumpers between pins 1&2, 3&4 is 12v. 1 between pin 2&3 is 24v

could even be volt drop if its a long run in a small CSA cable

Yes, it was the fluffy kitten like caring side of me coming to the fore.  I barely noticed she had a cracking set of norks, barely noticed, but I reckon you could hang a wet duffle coat on each one
I remember a similar incident, I was doing a lot of work on riding stables at the time, one Sunday we were driving down a country lane and I recognised a horse box that was broken down on a bend, it had a large brick jammed between the twin wheels on the rear axle. I stopped to help and spent about 20 minutes getting the brick out, it ended up a hammer and chisel job. Anyway, the young lady driving it was stood at the back talking to me as I worked, from my position all I could see was a pair of nicely shaped legs encased in tight jodhpurs and long black boots, I vaguely remember her being rather well built up top too, as for her face, I couldn't see it.

Well the following day I was back at the stables working away and this young lady came up to me, dressed in a loose top and baggy jeans, "there you are love, that's for yesterday" she said, pressing a 20 pound note into my hand. I wondered what I'd done that was worth £20, until she pointed out to a mate of hers that I was the nice man who'd helped her with the tyre. lol

Thought I would update this thread. I eventually replaced the power supply - all doors now working as they should. Looking back at it, this should have been done a few years ago, it seems door-entry power supplies fail very slowly! Indicators of pending doom are, buzzing from the magnets, and poor door holding.