Another case of Big Brother watching ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I discover that my new pointy finger phone  records everywhere it travels with me  .  

Next , I I'm looking on Youtube  at some flat picking  guitarists  , decide to copy it using Clipgrab as I tend to do sometimes ....and a box pops up  saying "Someone you may know"  a load of logos for Facebook , and similar sites  ...then two names from the Forum  .....Andy  &  Sharpend's actual name    ( Which I happen to know ) .

So how does this stuff work ?  Youtube is owned by Google  I believe ....AND .....  my pointy finger phone uses Google for some reason .  

Can you imagine the data that Google must hold on everyone in the world ..and beyond ?   

Google has a horrific amount of data from anyone and everyone with a google account. (something you set up to use an android phone). 

You can go through an turn off the tracking, but it's not so easy. 

An the algorithms used are extremely clever. Cookies from websites are also read by google if you use chrome for example, this can be used in their software.

My daughter was showing me an app, I think it was snap chat or something, and she showed me a page where is shows on a map where all her friends were. If you zoomed out it even showed the one in holiday in Turkey.

Me, I keep "location" turned off on my phone unless I actually want to use it for navigation.

And there was an article recently about these google "smart speaker" things, They are constantly listening. The aparently "review" some of the captured conversations and there is even an employee forum where they exchange "funny" things people have heard.

I won't be having one of those in my house any time soon.  Hell I don't even have a microphone or camera on my PC.

I have a FB page for my business but don't use my own profile at all

But I constantly get "friend" suggestions ... Yesterday they suggested my son!

Does anyone know if this facility can be turned off?

The box  appears  when I click  on "Share"    to copy the vid.   Just tried it again and its still there .   Can you tell how to capture whats on the screen  to   save it  then post it . ?  

I scribbled it down  here , both surnames appear  but  note  I didn't know Sharpie's name  until last week when he sent me  a PM or an email  , can't remember which  now .   

Scan0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well at least my names not on there
Yes its there Andy , I just didn't print it   ....as is Sharpend's   ..who  sent me an email  recently  and my  business email is with gmail  which is Google  who own  Youtube  ........yer life' just not yer own anymore.  

Last edited by a moderator:
well if its any help, youre not on my 'people i may know' list
So the link is ...what ?....  I'm sure I've exchanged emails with   Andy ..and I just checked my new pointy finger (Google) phone & you are in the contacts  but Sharpie isn't .

Why would Youtube suddenly decide to present me with  "People you may know"   and they're both  Forumites   AND  they've used their proper names .   ?

Deke are you signed in to an account on YouTube when you hit share and friends list or whatever shows? I don’t have a YouTube account and when I hit share it asks me to add friends? 

Im using a fruit phone if that makes any difference? 

no idea... probably stealing info from your contacts, phone numbers is the only thing in common with some of the names showing on mine, although not your

Deke are you signed in to an account on YouTube when you hit share and friends list or whatever shows? I don’t have a YouTube account and when I hit share it asks me to add friends? 

Im using a fruit phone if that makes any difference? 
Erm  yes .. I either just open Youtube  or I open my youtube account which generally shows stuff in my taste in music  & performers .   I don't do "Friends " anywhere  including Faceache .   I seem to have dozens of them in Facebook ...none of whom I have ever heard of !!

No good asking me about phones ..I can't work this new thing properly , although it has no connection with fruit  other that a Gooseberry  possibly .  It appears to be very busy all on it's own , flattening the battery  as quick as it possibly can .  

i get this... of which i only really know 1 of them

Untitled.jpg

Erm  yes .. I either just open Youtube  or I open my youtube account which generally shows stuff in my taste in music  & performers .   I don't do "Friends " anywhere  including Faceache .   I seem to have dozens of them in Facebook ...none of whom I have ever heard of !!

same here. apart from a select few, i just ignore friend requests

Latest posts