Young lad, stretching his wings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r3dd3v1l

Reaction score
Hello all,

my name is ash, based in gloucester, multi skilled maintenance technician / fitter by trade, currently half way through my 18th edition.

looking forward to learning from you all

:)   

Multi skilled?

I was an indentured apprentice electrician but started my time in the machine shop for a year. The companies reasoning being “if you don’t know how it works, you’ll struggle to fix it”.

Years later as shift maintenance engineer it paid off, my fitters would do minor electrical repairs while I was swinging on the spanners. With four plants to cover you did the job nearest to you.

The classic was a new manager asking the fitters why they were stood around when the plant was broken down.

“Waiting for a shaft to be machined.”

“Where’s the electrician?”

“Machining the shaft. He’s over there on the miller.”

multi skilled in todays terms - being able to attend a machine and successfully diagnose its issue and repair it either it be an electrical fault or mechanical fault. electrically wise could be diagnosing a faulty motor or burnt out relay, mechanical could be diagnosing a broken drive shaft of welding a snapped machine support. i can also fabricate using various materials and build low voltage circuits and add programmable software if needed. different people will tell you different things. iv worked with blokes that class them selves as "multiskilled" because they can change light bulbs in the canteen lmao 

Sounds like I have some competition on the forum! ;)  @r3dd3v1l

My background is exactly that, for the last 10+ years I've been working as a one man maintenance department for my customers, hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, electrical, electronics (if I can see the parts to solder them!), and controls works, oh & welding broken bits for them too.

Luckily for me I worked for a machinery OEM & a PLC/CNC/Servo drives OEM & a hydraulics and pneumatics OEM at different times, so I had a diverse training, after being one of the first official multi-skilled EITB apprentices back in 1982-6.

Now, I'm doing as little of it as I can and concentrating on using my brain, rather than my hands, especially at the moment with my left hand and fore arm in a plaster splint.

Sounds like I have some competition on the forum! ;)  @r3dd3v1l

My background is exactly that, for the last 10+ years I've been working as a one man maintenance department for my customers, hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, electrical, electronics (if I can see the parts to solder them!), and controls works, oh & welding broken bits for them too.

Luckily for me I worked for a machinery OEM & a PLC/CNC/Servo drives OEM & a hydraulics and pneumatics OEM at different times, so I had a diverse training, after being one of the first official multi-skilled EITB apprentices back in 1982-6.

Now, I'm doing as little of it as I can and concentrating on using my brain, rather than my hands, especially at the moment with my left hand and fore arm in a plaster splint.

no competition, im here too learn and soak up advice to make me a better technician and potentially help others, as my old supervisor always use to say to me "i have a old head on young shoulders" listening to other guys in the trade it makes sense for to go self employed and start my own business.. i have the tools, (well most of them, will eventually buy a small portable mig welder to go with my arc welder and a multi function tester), i have knowledge, got the connections, just need a suitable works vehicle now, stuck between a toyota avensis and a honda frv.

Last edited by a moderator: