Adding Spur sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B_I_L_L_Y

Reaction score
I need to add some sockets into the loft and was going to spur off of one of the bedroom sockets which is on the main ring but I need x2 sockets in different places in the loft, so can I spur off twice from the the bedroom socket (i.e. daisy chain)? or can I add x2 separate spurs off of the bedroom socket (i.e. x4 separate wires going into the bedroom socket)? or if I went with the daisy chain route do I need an inline fuse to be on the safe side?

Cheers

You could fit 2   X  single sockets  on one spur .

Or,  if they're twins  , fit a 13A spur unit in line with them .   This would have the effect of limiting the current drawn from all 4 outlets.  

What would you be plugging in ,  up in a loft ?     Can't imagine anything powerful .  

Not the best idea to  add more than one cable to the socket on the ring.     Just take a 2.5  up ...fit a 13A  spur unit   & two twins .   

Last edited by a moderator:
ty for replying.

No, doubt anything powerful running from these spurs but I prefer the idea of running a spur off the bedroom socket into a 13a fuse unit (in the loft) then into x2 separate double sockets ... then the load is restricted to 13a which will be cool and safer.  Sound right?

You can put what you want on the end if it's through a fuse. The hydroponic cannabis factory may need more power though!

Have you got a modern fuseboard and are the sockets already protected by a 30mA RCD?

ty for replying.

No, doubt anything powerful running from these spurs but I prefer the idea of running a spur off the bedroom socket into a 13a fuse unit (in the loft) then into x2 separate double sockets ... then the load is restricted to 13a which will be cool and safer.  Sound right?
It sounds right to me ,  but what do I know ?     Its just  two plugs in a loft  on a 13A spur .  Whats not to like ? 

Have the Regs been changed then ? 
If I remember correctly, the last time I looked it said 1 double or 1 single, it used to say 1 double or 2 singles, I don't think it mentions that anymore though, I think it had something to do with the possibility of some diy'er opening up a socket, seeing 2 cables behind it and thinking it was on the ring and adding a spur.

On the 17th it was 7.2.2, A non fused spur feeds only one twin socket or one permanently connected item, such a spur is connected at the terminals of a socket outlet, or at a junction box, or at the origin of the circuit in the distribution board.

Sorry can't find my latest regs book at the moment, but I'd imagine it's still the same, although it did used to say 2 singles or 1 double years ago iirc.

I know it used to say that ,  I was being a bit sarcastic TBH  ....which is very naughty  & I apologise .. .  The way I see it is , the regs will never stop the DIYer doing exactly what he thinks is correct ...they are aimed at us .      And in my humble opinion , whatever the Regs say ,   2 single sockets  on an unfused spur  will be fine .  If concerned , introduce a 13A spur unit.        If anyone chooses to alter or mess with an installation , they assume the responsibility that we assumed  in the first instance . 

You cannot  cater for every future  eventuality    ....yes  someone could plug in a couple of multi sockets  then plug in  eight  2KW  fan heaters  , overloading the spur leg.

But I do despair at the over complication of stuff these days . 

I know it used to say that , I was being a bit sarcastic TBH ....which is very naughty & I apologise .. . The way I see it is , the regs will never stop the DIYer doing exactly what he thinks is correct ...they are aimed at us . And in my humble opinion , whatever the Regs say , 2 single sockets on an unfused spur will be fine . If concerned , introduce a 13A spur unit. If anyone chooses to alter or mess with an installation , they assume the responsibility that we assumed in the first instance .

You cannot cater for every future eventuality ....yes someone could plug in a couple of multi sockets then plug in eight 2KW fan heaters , overloading the spur leg.

But I do despair at the over complication of stuff these days .
Your a very naughty boy, confusing someone who was woken up at 1 am by some cretin with a car radio, then again at 4 by a couple of idiots having a domestic on my front, I wouldn't mind but they live further down the street. lol

I know where you're going with the 2 singles though, in fact, I think it actually said in the 15th, one double or two singles, I was going to say that common sense should be applied, but then I remembered, wasn't that banned around the same time that RCD's became a form of primary protection. lol

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts