cooker off ring main

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpjamesjump

Reaction score
My cooker is 2.95kw and is off of a 13a socket.  

So according to my amazing mathematical genius mind 

2950watts/240v = 12.29amps

yippee it works

But is this ok?  Bad workmanship?  Should I re-run this from it's own MCB off from the consumer unit, say maybe on an 16amp MCB for example.

I have the same problem with my cylinder immersion heater with is 2.8kw.  Should it have it's own FCU?  If not why not? If so why so?

thank you for your time and patience

Fixed loads should be on dedicated circuits, but does that make this 'unsafe' even if not up to the regs? If you can put on dedicated circuits with little disruption then do so. You want DP isolation for the immersion as they can commonly corrode and start tripping RCDs.

There was a long period when house electrics were "done  on the cheap"   .

We went to one last year with  three circuits :-

1)Lights 

2 )Plugs 

3 )Cooker

Standards change over the years...as  The  Apache  says ...good practice today would have them on their own circuits  .

Your cooker socket could , possibly be wired in cooker cable with a socket added for the new cooker , that happens a lot .

If the cooker & immersion are both on the ring main it reduces it's capacity ...if you plugged a heater in you'd be at it's limit .

What happens though  is diversity & time factors,  Immersions & cookers have stats built in which are constantly dropping in & out   , so they're not strictly  speaking "Fixed loads"

Your immersion only kicks in when you run hot water off .  

To answer your questions :-

It would be good practice to have both items on their own circuits .

If you feel like rewiring the cooker , put a 6.00mm in to allow for another cooker  .But look at whats there first . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave the "oven and hob on the ring main" a C2 on an EICR last year and subsequently connected a new circuit for the cooker.  It was having the hob as well that tipped it for me to a C2

I gave the "oven and hob on the ring main" a C2 on an EICR last year and subsequently connected a new circuit for the cooker.  It was having the hob as well that tipped it for me to a C2
I'm a big believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Was the circuit tripping much from over current.

I would have thought this is a c3?   Assuming the installation is correctly installed I don't quite see the danger.  

Was the circuit tripping much from over current.
It was a mutual agreement with the landlord, he knew before he got me in that it was wired like that and it was wrong. It was not a difficult or expensive job to put a new circuit in for the cooker and he was happy to have it done right, or if you prefer just "better" for his tenant.

My cooker is 2.95kw and is off of a 13a socket.  

So according to my amazing mathematical genius mind 

2950watts/240v = 12.29amps

yippee it works

But is this ok?  Bad workmanship?  Should I re-run this from it's own MCB off from the consumer unit, say maybe on an 16amp MCB for example.

I have the same problem with my cylinder immersion heater with is 2.8kw.  Should it have it's own FCU?  If not why not? If so why so?

thank you for your time and patience

2.95kW cooker?  do you mean a single oven?  many single ovens are rated at less than 13A and come with a pre moulded  13A plug to be plugged into any suitable socket outlet, ring or radial.  What do the manufacturers instructions say?

Doc H.

2.95kW cooker?  do you mean a single oven?  many single ovens are rated at less than 13A and come with a pre moulded  13A plug to be plugged into any suitable socket outlet, ring or radial.  What do the manufacturers instructions say?

Doc H.
Could be a baby belling, well you never know. lol

Im not sure on the reg, but I'm 90% sure an appliance like a cooker needs to be on its own dedicated circuit. with the cooker being connected by a plug ill be surprised if that was allowed! there may be something in the Regs in the diversity section? I don't have my book on me atm. 

JuniorSparky said:
Im not sure on the reg, but I'm 90% sure an appliance like a cooker needs to be on its own dedicated circuit. with the cooker being connected by a plug ill be surprised if that was allowed! there may be something in the Regs in the diversity section? I don't have my book on me atm. 
manufactures instructions are different for all products. this also overrides the regs. So if the regs said a cooker connected by a plug is ok, but the manufacters instructions say no. that's a no.

it was too late for Grenfell Tower, when some the designers/installers etc knew of the problems but it did 'work'. Though I guess they are fixing it now, so you do speak some truth 🤷‍♂️ (I'm guessing you just meant that as a general thing though, to be fair 😄)