Cooking 45 amp switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Youngson

Reaction score
Hi,

My new build will have 3 ovens installed using 10mm cable will I need to have a 45amp double pole switch for each oven ?

The hob will be hard wired so I'm assuming I could possibly need 4 or could 1 x 45amp switch take 2 appliances ?

Thank you 

that's a lot of ovens! Might be better off with multiple supplies depending on the wattage of each oven and the hob.

One possible solution of you have a sutable place to put it and be able to access it, would be a small Consumer Unit (board) 10mm feed to the board and separate cct to each appliance from that, CU can go in a cupbaord somehwere in the kitchen. 

Agree.  For 'big house' kitchens  a small Consumer unit in the nearest cupboard to the Ovens makes a far tidier job.  Use it to replace some Fan and lighting SFU's too and the joy just increases  You may need to run an oversize cable and/or an additional 'Earth' to the new CU get this within regs so I'd advise a chat with whoever is hopefully signing it off