SWMBO's Steam Cleaner

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be in line with a solenoid(?) Most likely a suppressor as suggested, or it just MIGHT be a rectifier. If it's dead anyway the suggestion to cut it open is sensible.

It's a capacitor/diode arrangement to stop interference and back emf when the solenoid opens and closes, it will run without it, worst case scenario it may cause interference with the radio or tv when it switches, a bit like in the good old days. lol

I'd go with it being an MOV to quench the back emf from the ac powered solenoid being de-energised so it can't get back into the mains supply and to the other parts in the device.

Yes I know it's an old thread...

Just dug SWMBOs old Morphy Richard's steam cleaner out of the "must fix one day" pile.

I did indeed take a hammer to the encapsulated, duff component as suggested.

- 2 small electrolytics. Values readable.

- 1 resistor. No markings.

- 1 semiconductor. No markings.

R1 is open circuit.

Q2, (couldn't figure why if a simple passive RC thing) is missing half the case (sifting the sweeping off the patio still but I think I need to widen the search area! 😂 )

20200614_091206.jpg

R1:

20200614_092011.jpg

"ET-CF02" isn't bringing anything up. Tried tagging it with EMF, choke, suppressor, filter etc.

I thought I'd take the rest of the encapsulation off the back of the board and draw up the little "4 component" circuit. Maybe not!

20200614_094931.jpg

Active filter is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I try to fix most things, with mixed success, but I wouldn't fancy chances with that.  That's much more than a suppressor.

It looks to me that the designer has involved electronics in the design; (this seems almost mandatory these days, after all why use a switch if you can get a microprocessor and triac involved?)

I would guess, without seeing the track layout,  that the resistor and capacitor will be to provide a low voltage supply to the electronics. If so there will be  a diode and a Zener diode too.

Well I try to fix most things, with mixed success, but I wouldn't fancy chances with that.  That's much more than a suppressor.

It looks to me that the designer has involved electronics in the design; (this seems almost mandatory these days, after all why use a switch if you can get a microprocessor and triac involved?)

I would guess, without seeing the track layout,  that the resistor and capacitor will be to provide a low voltage supply to the electronics. If so there will be  a diode and a Zener diode too.

230V goes into it and should come out and go straight to the 230V solenoid. So a capacitor network/suppressor but WTGrape so complicated? Yes, I can bypass easily enough and see what happens.