Help! DIY alarm fix Abacus 8

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertR

Reaction score
Hello 

DIY fix, help required. 

I moved into into a rental house with an alarm it required some attention which I did the following 

1. Replaced 2 PIR sensors which were smashed off the wall 

2. Rewired the garage door contacts 

3. Replaced the internal battery in the alarm control box 

I was told the alarm code was lost so followed instructions to reset the alarm which seemed to work as the basic codes worked but the system wouldn’t set. 

The keypad which is in the hall (main control box with own keypad in garage) had no power to it and the PIRs don’t light up 

I found an f2 fuse blown on the control box board which I replaced. Hey presto the hall keypad came live and the alarm triggered, entered code to stop alarm which worked but then nothing. 

Both lcd screens now show just a row of squares !

typing any code in does nothing, tried to follow reset I used before nothing. Whilst power remains to second keypad PIR lights don’t come on but not sure if that’s due to the fault occuring

any ideas what this could be or what to try ? 

This is a DA systems Abacus 8 alarm system 

thanks 

You could try down power and re power, It may be a data problem. I would also point out that being as its an abacus you would be better off changing it.

Hi I have removed the battery and mains fuse but still same issue. 

I’m trying to avoid changing it but presume if I need to I simply need to replace the main control panel and extra keypad, the PIR, and door senors will be fine. 

Many recommendations on cheap easy to install alarms?

if its a rented house, why isnt your landlord getting it fixed?

Perhaps it's not in the agreement that he has a working intruder alarm. If you were a landlord would an intruder alarm be on your priority list?  In my time I have been to "just a few" intruder alarms that are paid for by the tenant.   It doesn't matter anyway, since the OP has already changed PIR's which could be deemed as breaking the agreement. (The fact they were broken in the first place does not matter)

We had an agreement that we would undertake some of the work needed to the property in return for a reduced rent. 

I was told by the agent the alarm works but found it didn’t and the landlord said that he was quoted ‘extortionate’ prices to repair it even though nobody came to look at it so it replaced PIR and hopes I could get it working myself - this is for our own piece of mind having an alarm 

Perhaps it's not in the agreement that he has a working intruder alarm. If you were a landlord would an intruder alarm be on your priority list?  In my time I have been to "just a few" intruder alarms that are paid for by the tenant.   It doesn't matter anyway, since the OP has already changed PIR's which could be deemed as breaking the agreement. (The fact they were broken in the first place does not matter)
unless its specifically states its excluded then imo it would be included. bit like a combi boiler. its there, youd expect it to be working

We had an agreement that we would undertake some of the work needed to the property in return for a reduced rent. 

I was told by the agent the alarm works but found it didn’t and the landlord said that he was quoted ‘extortionate’ prices to repair it even though nobody came to look at it so it replaced PIR and hopes I could get it working myself - this is for our own piece of mind having an alarm 

fair enough. tbh, it sounds like a dead panel / keypad, but couldnt really say without looking at it

Could be a tamper problem, some alarms will operate to disarm them but then lock out if the tamper is open circuit, worth checking that out next. but that wouldn't cause the pir's not to light up has the fuse blown again? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a tamper problem, some alarms will operate to disarm them but then lock out if the tamper is open circuit, worth checking that out next. but that wouldn't cause the pir's not to light up has the fuse blown again? 
Thanks - what’s the quickest way to check the tankers or will I have to check each tamp cable 

Well knowing what a load of shysters the vast majority of Agents are...."was told by the agent the alarm works but found it didn’t and the landlord said that he was quoted ‘extortionate’ prices to repair it".   The agent obviously lied through his little rodent like teeth in order to make the 'rental' as the landlord knows it doesn't work as he has got quotes for fixing it. 

Me?....dislike Agents?.....well, errrrrm

As the alarm appears to have been disabled by previous occupants I would suspect that it never worked correctly, no doubt somebody was hacked off when it went off at three in the morning and shut it up with a hammer...

More than likely it's goosed.

With so many unknows, I would probably have gone back to basics...

as If someone has smashed bits off the wall...

who's to say they haven't damaged some cables that you are not aware of?  

I would probably want to prove each of the following...

1/ Identify and test the cables that supply each sensor location. prove ALL conductors are continuous and not shorting out anywhere with a suitable meter..

2/ Use a known good battery to put power onto each PIR in turn, with a continuity buzzer across the trigger wires to verify they are actually operating correctly when someone walks into the detection zone.

3/ Rebuild up the panel by adding one sensor at a time an see if that all works ok before adding the next..

Sometimes trying to just jump in and restart the whole thing can result in wrong assumptions about which bits work or not.

Guinness  

UPDATE 

So I have done some further testing with my multi meter. 

Ive found 1 PIR from 5 which has power to it and lights up. 

I removed all the Zone cables from the main panel and tried with connecting only the 1 working PIR but still no luck. 

Would i be right in assuming that because the panel is programmed that it’s perhaps locked me out as there is possibly a lot of damage cable somewhere? 

I fear that if the main panel is replaced the error seems now more likely to be with cables somewhere in the property so I guess it’s time to look under some floor boards!

As others have said before ripping boards up 
Check main battery
See if the Bell box and bell battery are operable --  Supply 12V to box for a few hours then cover ears and remove 12V

Test the PIRs one by one for power supplied into cable and detector going open circuit (or higher resistance) if triggered.
Note the old PIR's may have zone resistors that need transferring to a replacement if its going to work
Bear in mind that a replacement system will likely be radio based apart from the internal sounder and Bell box so you may be ripping up board for no benefit if you end up replacing the system

Thanks 

I have put a new 12v battery in the control box . 

Only 1 PIR works and has power to it. It is one of the old ones. 

Ive pulled on some of the PIr cables it’s given me a few feet then stopped so can’t see the cable being broken. 

I will try test the bell with a 12v battery and go from there