Replacing hydraulic domestic gate motors - shall I switch to electro magnetic ones?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairy

Reaction score
I have a pair of donestic hydraulic gates where one motor is dead. It can be refurbished but this is costly and the fact you only get a warranty for three months on the part replaced suggest it’s not the most economic decision. The cost to replace the motor will require digging up the box and recementing a new box with the new motor. I’m looking at probably about £1000 for one gate. Some engineers have suggested that the other one should really be replaced at  the same time as it is not a good idea to run gates off different makes of motors due to even the slight timelag between the two.

The most economical quote I’ve had has been to replace both motors with electromagnetic motors in the ground.Though I know techincally the difference between the way hydraulic and electro magnetic motors work  in reality are they second class? Are they more prone to failure and will they last as long?  I look forward to any advice.  Thanks very much

you can get new motors easily enough for most manufacturers. and you dont need to replace the foundation box.

you can also compensate for different speeds on the time delays.

you also dont get electro magnetic motors. they are either hydraulic or electro mechanical

what motors are fitted now?

The broken motor is FAAC - they no longer make  the model  and the replacement motor needs a new box - about £1200  all in - refurb cost between £600-1200 and minimum 3 week turnaround.  Other motor a SEA. Thanks.  

cheaper option (which isnt always practical though) is to disconenct the mechanical part of the underground operator and fit an above ground operator

dont really know much about SEA, not worked on any of their stuff as its not very popular. at least not around here

Do you think electro mechanical is worse then hydraulic though? Thanks.

both have their advantages & disadvantages. for smaller gates usually electro mechanical. for larger gates then hydraulic. but since im not there to see the gate i couldnt say for definite which way to go

any pics of the gate / operator?