Fire detector certificates .?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My query was answered on this recently but something else cropped up .

We have a request for a domestic  / empty rental  job in a few months time that includes a CO detector  as well as the usual smokes & heats .        I 've downloaded  some Aico  fire Certs   & note that the CO one is separate  .  

Never having fitted a CO , am I correct in saying we  wire it in with the smokes  or does it have to stand alone ?      Does it have to be tested with carbon monoxide  ?     I see that Aico don't recommend  using smoke spray .   

Also, remember that if it's the right "generation" and you wirelessly interlink you can have the CO go off with the smokes and vice versa with differing noises depending on which one triggers apparently, especially if you use the test switches, which are also wireless with a 10 year battery.

It won't be wireless ,  hard wired .    A rental property  which to me means if it was  battery powered ,  it would get thrown out  when the battery died .

CO detectors make a different noise then ?         

So , NOT connected    to the smoke detectors .

Obviously check on the correct position .

Own circuit  or from nearest lighting . ?   I always connect  domestic detectors to a lighting  circuit .  ( I'm thinking light circuit  ....own circuit could prove fatal)

Last edited by a moderator:
Deke,

Aico can be mains powered but wireless interlink which actually gives more opportunities for diagnostics and things than hard wired interlinking does.

Thing is , only one CO alarm has been priced for  ,(its my mate's job)     he was thinking  of siting it  wherever the new boiler is going .  However I just took a look in my BRK   Guide  which  recommends a single CO alarm would cover sleeping areas , so probably on a landing . 

All the "Sealed for life" ones that I've seen have been in the room with the boiler . Fitted by the heating guys . 

Thinks :-  perhaps  boilers should have one pre- fitted.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Aico do a heat and co  combined with a 10 year rechargeable backup battery ei3028

If you go on the Aico website it also gives positioning information for the units.

The 3 series are the mutts!

Anything you can put the RF module in you can interlink.

I would suggest that if there are ore than 2 alarms that you get the landlord to ok the test switch, as long as you wirelessly interlink.

No wiring to the switch, communications via the wireless interface, single test button for all alarms, silence and locate functions too.

You can have multiple switches e.g. top & bottom of the stairs.

CO detector should be in the same room as the CO creating  appliance, if a flue from this passes through sleeping areas, they need a detector too.

In normal room with boiler, on the ceiling, in bedroom at breathing height if it's because of a flue, or the rear of a back boiler for example.

Latest posts