Condition reports on Rental properties

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet again I see the reference to  yet another competent body for carrying these reports out ...  additional to what we already have ...so reports on rentals will become mandatory  but we won't be doing them unless we pay into yet another scheme . 

Note the wording in this NIC newsletter . 

NIC  Rentals.jpg

It's a bit pointless unless a scheme has the ability to do snap unannounced inspections and follow up on reports from 3rd pairs of bad practice .

So no to any more money grabbing schemes.

Its even better ,  You could carry out an EICR   on one half of a semi  at No. 2   Acacia Avenue, which is a standard dwelling    but  you'd have to pay into another scheme  to do the same report in the other half on the semi which is a rental .      

Its even better ,  You could carry out an EICR   on one half of a semi  at No. 2   Acacia Avenue, which is a standard dwelling    but  you'd have to pay into another scheme  to do the same report in the other half on the semi which is a rental .      

Thats just plain daft ..............

i dont do many EICRs ...... so don’t really care if I don’t do them .......

This is what happens when governments intervene and try to re write wiring regs.

It has already happened up here in Scotland.  Now, in order to do an EICR for a rental, you have to be a member of a competent persons scheme.  At least up here it is just ordinary membership, not a second special scheme.  But as I am not and have no wish to be a member of a scheme, I no longer do EICR's for rental.

I still do EICR's if someone wants to know the condition of a house for sale, or for commercial properties wanting it for insurance etc, I just don't do domestic rentals any more.

Yet the agents then call me to do the remedial work when someone else has found a fault on an EICR "because they trust me"  Work that one out.

4 years and counting before I can hang up my megger and stop being subject to all this nonsense.

I suppose the flip side to this is - has there been an issue with the standards of electrical inspection in rented properties? Are people coming to harm because cowboys call round for 30 mins, check 6 accessories and do a global Ze and leave?

Is there anything to suggest this won't be automatically included for current scheme members?

The agents then call me to do the remedial work when someone else has found a fault on an EICR "because they trust me"  Work that one out.

That is actually a good system. The company I served my time with would with safety systems have one person do the report, another person did the remedials. It stopped “I don’t fancy sorting that out” where things would be deliberately overlooked or ignored.

I think that NAPIT are including it for their full scope members who are already approved for EICR's.
OK   But if the government committee stipulates a new , additional membership scheme   anyone wishing to carry them out  will have to join up , in addition to his present scheme , I presume.  

Would it be like  an existing NICEIC member   having to re- comply with  the Domestic Installer scheme  when Part P came in . ?  

Latest posts