help plz 3 phase converter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moz

Reaction score
Hi

I have a car ramp 3 phase 4 wire I got a convertor vdf and it works going up but not down .

As the convertor has only got 3 wvu outputs I put neutral onto v to get it to work.

I have a wiring diagram but don't know how to upload it.

Is there a way to get 24v to solonide to allow the ramp to come down by the hand held buttons.

Thanks for any help. Can any one help with uploading pics

youll need to connect 230v across the control transformer. if it doesnt have 230v windings then itll need replaced

by the sound of it youre not even using the controls for up, just wiring the motor direct to the converter, bypassing safety devices...

is this a DIY use ramp in your own personal garage or commercial?

Can newbies upload pictures? I think maybe not until they've made 10 posts. I can doctor your account but I'm a bit rusty - bear with me

Try now

Says can only up load 507kb. Lol my phone is mega pixels of its head how do I need to convert it first lol or can you tweak it again cheers

Dl a app to shrink here you go it's in finish I think sorry.

youll need to connect 230v across the control transformer. if it doesnt have 230v windings then itll need replaced

by the sound of it youre not even using the controls for up, just wiring the motor direct to the converter, bypassing safety devices...

is this a DIY use ramp in your own personal garage or commercial?
Hi .It's s car o liner repair jig I wired it to 4 wires going to control box limit switched work ok so it is working fine but it will not switch 24v solenoid for down. 

If I take netrual off it don't work at all if I put neutral on any W V U it works.

. I run vdf then press up when I release button it stops . I'm confused as there is no out put on vdf for a 4th wire. Blue neutral. Motor is in delta mode. Im trting to send pic of control box. It is for personnel use. Thanks

Me and the BiL have just converted his 3P Grazia 2 post lift to single phase. 

Before photos above. 

The mod involved ditching the 3P motor and strapping on a 230V one, a couple of sprockets (inc one off a Landrover I think) and some 1/2" pitch chain. That was the BiLs bit ('cept I gave him the chain). Electrically everything came out of my salvage boxes. The overload is gone and the 380/24 trannie changed for a 230/24 the same size. Goes up/down. All the limits still work.

I did think of doing that but got a inverter 49 quid I'm not that good with this type of stuff. Inverter works great but for some reason it will not trigger the solenoid to lower the ramp.

Everything else works. Limit switches etc. It would be a shame to replace it all and it works fine. Part from lowering

I think there is an issue with the N on the diagram it says 380v to 13 and 14 the inverter is 220v max. but the coil in control box says 220v if you look close on brown tab on opposite side it says 24 ...24v .?

I've connected WVU to inverter but them alone won't run the motor if I put N on to anyone of the WVU it will run. so i presume its picking up 220v at 50hz from any of WVU i dont think it matters as long as it's 220v the coil must be working as the button to rase the ramp works and the top limit switch so it must be putting out 24v. Hz?

I can lower ramp manually with a 12v batter charger by connecting +- to tabs to solenoid and it works.😎 it must be somthing simple. Any idea's.

Hi .It's s car o liner repair jig I wired it to 4 wires going to control box limit switched work ok so it is working fine but it will not switch 24v solenoid for down. 

If I take netrual off it don't work at all if I put neutral on any W V U it works.

. I run vdf then press up when I release button it stops . I'm confused as there is no out put on vdf for a 4th wire. Blue neutral. Motor is in delta mode. Im trting to send pic of control box. It is for personnel use. Thanks
If the N connection is there ONLY for the controls, then the controls are expecting 230V.  If you instead connect the "N" to one of the phases, you will be purring 400V onto the control circuit and it won't be long before something goes up in smoke.

It appears to be a 230V to 24V transformer used for the controls.  You would have to change that to a 400V to 24V transformer for it to work.

Alternatively you could buy a 400V to 230V transformer and use that to "create" the  N to drive the control circuit.

HI thanks for your help, correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding.

Inverter only gives out 220v max on 3 phases W V U 220v on each theres is no way 400v is going to control box coil.

On invertor prog menu it will only adjust upto 220v max. Although on the wiring diagram it says 380v for N 4th wire.

Coil left hand tab says 220v.

Diagram says 380v is required but coil says 220v is required it cont radicts itself or am i wrong.

I could try single phase 240v domestic direct to coil would this work?

There is no point changing the coil as it works fine with up button and  top limit switch and they run on 24v. supply from any phase 220v to N works the up but not the down 😭 solenoid is working. Could it be as simple as a lose wire.

Need to find my circuit tester.

20190428_022402_1556414955096_1556415049310.jpg

If the N connection is there ONLY for the controls, then the controls are expecting 230V.  If you instead connect the "N" to one of the phases, you will be purring 400V onto the control circuit and it won't be long before something goes up in smoke.

It appears to be a 230V to 24V transformer used for the controls.  You would have to change that to a 400V to 24V transformer for it to work.

Alternatively you could buy a 400V to 230V transformer and use that to "create" the  N to drive the control circuit.

If it's a 230/24 transformer at the moment could he not just feed it with N and a true line rather than that  converter generated? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The inverter gives 230V (with respect to neutral) on each phase, but the voltage from one phase to another is 400V.  That will cook your control circuit very quickly.

@Onoff suggestion would work.  With a bit of unpicking and rewiring you could feed the control transformer from the single phase L and N that is feeding into the 3 phase converter and it would be happy.  so take that blue and black wire out of the contactor bottom left, and feed those from the L an N going IN to the 3 phase converter.

Last edited by a moderator: