Moving mains electrics supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im doing up my kitchen and bathroom in a small ground floor 1950s flat.

I have found that the mains electrics supply is in a cupboard in the middle of the flat with a thick cable running about 80 - 90cm just above the floor. I’d like to move it to an alcove by the front door about 1.5 metres away, or if that’s not possible shorten the mains supply to fit into a shallow cupboard about 50cm from where the cable ends but moved to a 45 degree angle.  The mains supply for the rest of the flats also run up from this point but I don’t want to move these I just want to move mine.

Is there anyway I can get photos on here.

Any advice much appreciated!

thanks 

j

The only way is talk to the DNO (supply company), your wallet will be hiding behind the sofa when they tell you the price.
Thanks... I have an appointment booked for Monday.

the only reason why I want it moving is cos in the 70s the council back filled with  the old flue with concrete and bricks when the removed the back boiler otherwise is open up the kitchen and living room but that could cost £3000 so depending on how much it is I may get it done... unless it’s £3000 then I’ll just knock the wall down.

:)

Before you start knocking out any part of a fireplace check what’s above it. By chance I arrived at my sisters house just as the BIL was starting to remove a fireplace, I took him outside and asked a simple question “what holds that chimney up?”.

Before you start knocking out any part of a fireplace check what’s above it. By chance I arrived at my sisters house just as the BIL was starting to remove a fireplace, I took him outside and asked a simple question “what holds that chimney up?”.

I have a structural engineer booked in on Tuesday. The flat is made up of concrete pillars and beams each 400-500mm thick, with 400mm thick concrete floors.

i suspect the chimney is double skin bricks mortared into a concrete block with a hole moulded where the flue goes. It’s whats holding up the fireplace and what I can do to secure that after removing all the backfill.

You can post pictures after posting 10 times .  There is a reason  for this .  

Moving main supply cable  ...at very least £800  - £1200  .  Let us know what they quote you . 

Remember they won't be doing the electrics on your side of the meter  so you'' ll need an electrician too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You usually also need permission of the freeholder to make structural alterations in a leasehold flat.
Permission granted in writing and building control informed and in full communication with. It’s not a structural wall.

You can post pictures after posting 10 times .  There is a reason  for this .  

Moving main supply cable  ...at very least £800  - £1200  .  Let us know what they quote you . 

Remember they won't be doing the electrics on your side of the meter  so you'' ll need an electrician too.
Thank you. I have a electrician booked in. :)

Lots of leasehold agreements now require the agreement of the free holder to fit a new kitchen or bathroom ,....
Thank you. I’ve been a leaseholder for over 20 years the new rules don’t apply to make for making cosmetic changes. Plus I’ve been working with the free holder for many years. We have an understanding. :)