Outside the scope of an EICR?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking over a house one of my clients has bought today and fixing a number of niggles .........

The surveyor had suggested the fan in the ensuite simply vented into the loft ......... so I took a look .............. the inline fan vent is actually resting on the airbrick vent in the loft ..... so its venting outside.

My question is ....... if I was doing an EICR would it attract a code?

Thoughts people

Thanks

from GN3 we have:  The purpose of periodic inspection and testing:

(a) the safety of persons and livestock against the effects of electric shock and burns;

(b) protection against damage to property by fire and heat arising from an installation defect;

(c) confirmation that the installation is not damaged or deteriorated so as to impair safety; and

(d) the identification of installation defects and departures from the requirements of BS7671 that may give rise to danger.

Which aspect of periodic inspection were you considering it came within?

Doc H.

Your fan example is probably no worse than an electric shower mounted over a bath where the shower head is not fixed and able to fall into the bath. As I believe most shower instructions state that the hose should be fed through some sort of loop to prevent the head from being able to be immersed in a bath tub of water. Presents no direct danger, but is not in accordance with installation instructions, but electrically everything is satisfactory.  Or maybe a mains powered smoke detector mounted in an incorrect physical location, e.g. too close to light fittings or corners of walls. Again functionally inappropriate, not in accordance with manufactures guidance, but no electrical hazard or danger.  

Doc H. 

I'd just write it in as an observation  ... IF ..it was venting into the loft space .       Nothing to do with the electrics really. 

One of our local bathroom fitting companies used to do  that on all their jobs.