You couldn't make it up

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best way to test was as the site engineer did at Round Oak Steel Works !!   

My crappy drawing shows the DC Sub  station ,  with the gate opened we crawled behind the  old switchgear to  lug on a new cable to the bus bars .  All the others remained live . 

Only  the engineer was allowed to isolate , he would then pick up a length of Steel Wire Armour stripping  and hit the bus bars with it , announcing that they were dead.     

Scan0001.jpg

I pinched an idea from some Kramer drives I worked on for the induction furnace I redesigned. With the Kramer drives before you touched anything you closed a MCB to short the busbars to earth.

For the furnace I automated the earthing using a rather hefty contactor and a MCB in series. Previously we had used a brush stale with a welding lead an probe connected to it to manually earth each section, there were some nice fireworks.

05.jpg

The best way to test was as the site engineer did at Round Oak Steel Works !!   

My crappy drawing shows the DC Sub  station ,  with the gate opened we crawled behind the  old switchgear to  lug on a new cable to the bus bars .  All the others remained live . 

Only  the engineer was allowed to isolate , he would then pick up a length of Steel Wire Armour stripping  and hit the bus bars with it , announcing that they were dead.     

View attachment 10007

youre wasted being an electrician with artistic skills like that

Surely it would. Just have been a lot safer to run. A tester across it to. Test for voltage instead of throwing a crowbar without even knowing 

it could be that whoever touched it are not electricians, they are simply labours following orders to rip it out after someone else has failed to isolate it correctly, in which case then it would be fair and appropriate that the company / management has been prosecuted for it

but there are plenty other cases when its those working on it have done something stupid but the employer has still been proescuted for it

Last edited by a moderator: