DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
RachelEvs

Electric cooker installation

RachelEvs

Hi, I need to wire in a new cooker and have attached the cable to the cooker. I’ve removed the socket cover that’s on the wall in the kitchen where an old cooker was and am not sure if I just put the 3 corresponding wires from the cooker cable into the same slots in the wall that currently have the 3 cables in. I can’t post a pic as I’m new to the site but could email over. Thank you.

Andy™

pretty much... just make sure that the cable and MCB size and suitable for the load of the new cooker

RachelEvs

Thank you. I’ve got the right cable, not sure what the MCB is? The connections just looked a bit basic but if I can just stuff the new cables into the same holes as the cables already there then hopefully I won’t blow anything up 😂

Geoff1946

Make sure your connections are tight. The greatest risk of all comes from loose connections, which can become hot to the point of catching fire.

kerching

I would add two points...

make sure you connect using using the correct wire type....they always used to be connected with twin and earth, now it's usually high temp,rubber flexible. H077 RNF or some such thing....it will be in the instructions

last one I connected needed 4 different screwdrivers.....the most important connection being to the terminals which required a T15 torx. Now, to my mind, if a DIYer was doing this and didn't have the correct driver they may just force something in that fitted and twist away and not necessarily actually tighten up the terminal correctly.  A bit of a flawed design in my blinkered and bigoted view!

just advising