2365 Qualified - Help.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkS

Reaction score
Hi Ladies + Gents. 

I was wondering if there's anyone out there that has done an intensive course and if so how did you get into work. I'm relatively green in the sense of experience, but I'm willing and quick learn. 

I have completed the following courses. 

C&G 2365 Level 2 in electical installation 

C&G 2365 Level 3 in Electrical Installation 

C&G 2391 inspection and testing 

And I've done my regs course. 

Anyone that's walked a similar path that can give me advise on how to get my foot in the door would be much appreciated. 

TIA

MARK 

There are members here more familiar with the latest courses than me   and I'm sure they'll be answering later .  

We get this question a lot  ,    are you a younger guy looking for an apprenticeship ?   Or one of the many  older , mature guys , possibly changing  their vocation  in later life ?  

Eventually you need  to be working  in the trade  to satisfy one of the courses ,  which is a major stumbling block unless you know someone or get lucky. 

Traditional apprenticeships  are quite rare  at the moment ...one of the routes is work as a Trainee or labourer , get the JIB card , take the  necessary courses and move up to "Electrician"  that way .  

See what the other members have to say ,    there are a lot of threads on this subject on here. 

Beware of taking unnecessary courses that cost you money and are worthless within the trade . 

One thing I can promise you .......you can't become an electrician by taking a 6 week course.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would be an easy ride in after a 4 month course, but I figured it'll be essential to get started. I'm 34, so I've gone down the paid route. I'm at the stumbling block you mentioned, need to be at work to continue down the road to an approved electrician. 

I'm currently enrolled at a couple of agencies as looking for Electrical Mate/improver or a trainee electrician roles. 

I have a good work ethic and learn fast so I'm bank on those qualities to stand out as someone that will be worth a gamble. 

Thanks again. 

Sounds to me like you're doing all the right things .   

On the employment subject ,  there will be far more people looking for experienced guys ..  BUT ...there are jobs where a trainee  would fit in nicely  ,  finding them is of course another thing .  

I hate agencies with a vengeance  but understand your position  ,  far better if you found something that didn't involve  some shiny- arsed paper pusher taking a cut of your hard earned wages .    

Agencies are unfortunately a necessary evil it would seem. I've not had any luck yet anyway. Right now it's not about money, it's the experience, and networking that will build my future I can swallow losing out on a few quid. 

Time will tell. Fortunately London is 20mins by train, apparently its the easiest place to pick up work as newbie. 

For anybody looking for work in any line of employment, the old phrase 'it is who you know not what you know' that still carries a significant portion of truth. Qualifications and courses are a help, but in a lot of cases they aren't actually the final majority overriding factor when selecting who is taken on to fill a job vacancy. You will often find many generations of families (or wider families, aunts, uncles, cousins etc.), working in the same line of business. As a rough guesstimate it could be 75% who you know and 25% what you know, as often a friend or family member will be employed with a greater allowance for learning on the job. But complete strangers can be given less leeway, and have to start off pulling their weight a bit more, so employees who are an unknown quantity have to bring a bit more experience and an edge over those with just qualifications but no contacts.

Doc H.  

Thanks Doc. Hopefully my family will be part of the electrical elite in the future. Sounds like I got a mountain to climb, so I better get some climbing boots aye.

Mark 

You haven't mentioned what your current/previous employment background is. But for example it is probably easier for someone who already has some electrical/electronic background to move over into a different sector of electrotechnical work, or someone already in one of the construction type trades. Whereas changing from a completely unrelated employment will have far fewer transferable skills, so will be less appealing to prospective employers. e.g. Website designer,  Hairdresser, Call centre staff,  Postman,  will have a much bigger jump to make, so would be a greater gamble to employ compared with say a shop fitter or ex-services person who may have done various multi skill tasks during their past employment.  You have to think about what is your unique selling point to make someone want to choose you over 50+ others applying for the same job position you are looking at. It has often been said on here in the past to others asking similar type questions, have you tried contacting local electrical contractors / builders in your area to see if they have any openings for any one-off part time labouring, maybe low or unpaid, work just to allow you to get a bit of hands-on coal-face type experience?  Unfortunately the current climate of red tape, health & safety excess and risk of been taken to court because you are wearing the wrong colour socks, hasn't helped any company wanting to take on any casual part time labourers, which in turn make it harder for people like yourself to get their foot in the door.

Along with all the usual google type searches, there is also the 'competent persons register'', where you can find lists of contractors local to a particular post-code who are able to self certify any Part-P compliant electrical work.  http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/  If you search around your postcode you may find a few potential contractors to try contacting.

Doc H.    

Last edited by a moderator:
My career based experience is limited in the sense of construction. I have some early experience as a labourer from my early twenty. But my profession is management, I've managed restaurants to supermarkets. So doubt there's many transferable skills, customer service skills would be about it. 

That's a good bit of advice Doc. I don't mind working for coffee and to tap a knowledge source. That's definitely something I will try. 

I'm practical minded and capable. I buy repair and sell cars to earn some extra cash. Currently my main income. Maybe I'll find a van to offer cheap with my employment 😂

Mark

Murdoch I know some Brickies, plasterers and decorators. I've started looking for general labourer jobs, hoping to make contacts that way. 🤷

that's not a bad start - these trades often need an odd socket moving etc etc, which will give you a chance to see 'real work' and practice testing / look at domestic boards, and find a lot of DiY ****e! 

I did something similar to yourself 15 years ago, but started my own business. I was lucky enough to have a friend who taught me 'house bashing' which gave me a good start, I also completed an apprenticehip in electro-mechanical factory works, so had a damn good idea on how to use tools and terminate cables. I did spend some time on large sites, which was useful, via agency. I still wouldn't say I'm much good with things like cable tray or industrial work - not enough experience, but I make a living from mostly domestic works.