Bemco

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octalrock

Reaction score
Hi all. Just after advice on tails from meter to bemco. 

I have just completed a 14 flat install running 25mm swa to mains room to a 80a switch fuse. Installed tails from this to meter position then from meter position to bemco which I left disconnected assuming meter fitter would connect. But he has been and walked off saying I need to connect to the bemco. I was under the the impression us sparks couldn't access the bemco. Any advice?

Cheers.

Ah  right  thanks ,  new name to me .

Worked with loads of those  and yes  sometimes made the final connections in the Distributor's  Panel   (or Bemco)  

If I were you , Octalrock ,  I'd speak to the DNO .    Whats the point of a meter monkey if he just connects your tails and sods off !!!  

As you say , we don't usually work BEFORE the meter .     

About time  someone made their minds up on this subject.  

BNO's Job to do connections on multi occupancy buildings.

What is a Building Network Operator?

A ‘Building Network Operator’ is an organisation that owns the electrical installation between the ‘intake’ and the householder’s installation (their fuse board) in a property that is split into more than one home (also referred to as a ‘Multiple Occupancy Building’). An apartment block or a property converted into apartments is a prime example of this.

The Building Network Operator may be an organisation with an electricity distribution licence (such as the DNO - Distribution Network Operator - or an IDNO - an Independent Distribution Network Operator). Alternatively, because the regulations deem this to be a licence-exempt role, it could be another organisation such as the building owner or outsourced to a Facilities Management company.   

Regardless of who it is, the Building Network Operator will be responsible for the design, installation and maintenance of the electrical installation past the intake point.

In short, if there is a fault or issue with the cables, boards, switches or isolators, it is the BNO’s responsibility to resolve it, at their cost.