3 PH MOTOR ON Garage Ramp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfapat

Reaction score
Hello , new on here , I have a 4 Post lift with a 3ph motor , but no 3 phase supply. If I bought a 3ph generator how many amps should it deliver to cope with the initial power requirement .

The motor delivers 2.2 kw and has two amp figures stamped on it 9.13/5.19 .Its 1 hp motor. 220v supply requirement

If one phase takes 9 amps at any one time then surely that' s the requirement . 

At present looking at a gen that produces 6500 watts and 4.5 kw .It has 3 230v outlets and one 380 v .

If my calculations are correct at any 230v outlet there should be 28 amps ? Is this suitable please, I am told or advised that that generator doesn't match anywhere near it and I need 9.8kw.

Hello , new on here , I have a 4 Post lift with a 3ph motor , but no 3 phase supply. If I bought a 3ph generator how many amps should it deliver to cope with the initial power requirement .

The motor delivers 2.2 kw and has two amp figures stamped on it 9.13/5.19 .Its 1 hp motor. 220v supply requirement

If one phase takes 9 amps at any one time then surely that' s the requirement . 

At present looking at a gen that produces 6500 watts and 4.5 kw .It has 3 230v outlets and one 380 v .

If my calculations are correct at any 230v outlet there should be 28 amps ? Is this suitable please, I am told or advised that that generator doesn't match anywhere near it and I need 9.8kw.

That's rather confusing. 2.2kW doesn't equate to 1hp, and 220v isn't a standard UK supply voltage.

The generator figures are equally confusing in terms of power rating but at least the voltages are standard.   If you could link photos of the motor and generator ratings plates  someone may be able to advise.

Picking on two of your figures though, any claim that you need almost 10kW to run a 2.2kW load is nonsense.

We’ve gone through this scenario recently. A generator isn’t an economic solution. This leaves two options, change the motor to single phase or fit a VSD. I would go for the VSD as a cheap and easy option but you have to follow instructions implicitly, unlike like the last fool we had on here.

Reading between the lines I thought he may have sight of an existing (cheap?) generator which could well do the job if perhaps even it's overkill.

If he changes the motor to single phase, or buys a 3 phase convertor then there is all the complexity of control and motor reversing to deal with.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183230149220

or something like this. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202361964544

i have bought this , I may have send it back unless Ican produce the amps ,

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192869404224

The motor should only run one way to raise the ramp , I will try and post a pic of the stamp on the motor, but not had much success , so far . I have posted the likely 3 ph gen and a single one as well. Not sure where they have gone either. 

The motor should only run one way to raise the ramp , I will try and post a pic of the stamp on the motor, but not had much success , so far . I have posted the likely 3 ph gen and a single one as well. Not sure where they have gone either. 

they are right where you left them.... in your other thread on the exact same topic...

That's rather confusing. 2.2kW doesn't equate to 1hp, and 220v isn't a standard UK supply voltage.

The generator figures are equally confusing in terms of power rating but at least the voltages are standard.   If you could link photos of the motor and generator ratings plates  someone may be able to advise.

Picking on two of your figures though, any claim that you need almost 10kW to run a 2.2kW load is nonsense.

I have a picture of the present motor plate and it’s rating , but says it’s too big a file. Any ideas how I can attach this , it’s only a pic from my phone ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can’t reduce the size of the photo, I can’t believe how this forum works , I’m looking for help and all I get are barriers. 

Ok Rant over , This ramp must have been run on 400 v as the label rates the motor as 220 - 380v It’s def 3 ph it’s also stamped 2.2kw the amps are 9.19/5.49 it also has Duty S2 , rpm 1492

so what gen output do I need , I believe it’s star, wired with a neutral earthed. 

Or would I be better with a VSD/VFD and single phase Generator at what amp output. 

Sorry about repeats etc , I am not good with techie stuff on phones and forums , but I do get by! 

If you can be of any help out there please help. 

The motor is capable of running for very short periods wired in star with a neutral or wired in delta with no neutral with a maximum run current of either 9.1 Amps or 5.49 Amps respectively. Which way it's wired would depend on the the overall design of the car ramp.

Your whole post is making me skittish......Retrofitting a VFD or fundamentally altering the design of the machine in any way could introduce issues with other aspects of the overall operation of the machine such as any motor braking systems or any ancilliary systems such as safety locking solenoids and control systems such as E-Stop etc. The entire machine would need recertifying as being safe for use after any modifications to its design and, I'm not UK based but as far as I know in the UK, failing to do so would make you personally liable for any subsequent safety event such as injury or death.

The voltages stated are all nominal, it's not unusual to for motors that are stated as being 380v to run on a supply that's actually 400v and vice versa, motors rated at 400v run on a 380v supply. This is especiall true for S2 duty motors but you can check the motor manufacturers website for confirmation.

If you're supplying the machine from a generator you shouldn't be modifying any motor wiring, you'd just connect the generator supply into the power terminations in the control panel of the car ramp, they should be labeled as L1, L2, L3, N and Earth.